Plastic Pink Flower Pot Gets a Face Lift

I picked up this gorgeous Lavender plant and fell in love with its cuteness but hated the pink flower pot. Yes I could of bought a new pot for it but I knew I could transform the boring pink pot into something breath taking.
Before and After
The plant sits inside a typical black pot that drains inside the pink pot but you could still transform a pot that has the plant truly IN it. I would suggest using a out door/water resistant top coat to seal it.
I glued a silicone applique (you can purchase it through Efex) around the top of the pot. To give it some character.
Here you can see the process I used to give it a stone effect. L to R: I used Heirloom Traditions paint (chalk type paint) in Nickel mixed with a product by Heirloom Traditions called Venetian Texture Medium. It thickens your paint and gives it texture. I then stippled (research the term) the paint on the pot. I let it dry completely and then sealed it with a water based top coat. I then watered down 2 colors in HTP's Vintiques paint line, Dearly Distressed and Steamer Trunk. Which gave it that aged look in the middle photo. I then highlighted the high points with Nickel and a silver gilding wax.
This stuff feels like butter!
Up close look.... Texture heaven!
This pot is not pink or boring any longer! You'd never know it was plastic.
The plastic pot bends and flexes without a problem when moved.
Now I have a pot that is equally as beautiful as my Lavender plant!
Check out my work on Facebook: Rehab to Fab https://www.facebook.com/RehabtoFab/

• Heirloom Traditions Paint  (http://heirloomtraditionspaint.com/)
  • Efex appliques  (http://www.efexusa.com/)
  • Lavender Plant  (http://www.costco.com/)

Stephanie  Coon/Rehab to Fab

• Pam McDaniel

Can you please tell me the cost of these products used? Love the look great job.

• Susan

Where do you buy this psint?

• Cherie Aldridge Vickers

Where did you get the wooden sign with the intial and est on the bottom? I love that!

• Gloria gawa

How much for the paint? Unless you want to do it for the satisfaction the cost of paint vs a forever planter it makes more sense to purchase a planter. Like the idea but is it cost effective?

• Michelle

I think not. Unless you already have and use those products.

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

You can go to Heirloom website and do a price check. I had the products already. Being an artist you don't go buy something already the way you want it. You do it yourself!

• Charlotte

I agree. I would do it for the satisfaction it gives to create something different.

• 9530106

Really, if we "crafters" and redoers thought about the expense of our projects all the time, we would probably never do them!

• Frogsong

Have you priced large planters lately? :o

• Shari

"Why buy it for $7 when you can make it yourself for $92 of craft supplies." That saying is more true than most crafters will admit but sometimes the creative experience and satisfaction of making it yourself is "priceless."

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

Only way to learn or better your artistic talent is to do it yourself.

• Teddeegrace

I see you are in Colorado, but there are no Efex retailers in Colorado. Where did you get the flexible appliques?

• Stephanie Coon/Rehab to Fab

You can order from them online.

• Maine Country Home

Hi All, EfexUSA here.First, a big thank you to Stephanie for doing a great project. We love it! And then we have five dealers in Colorado. CheersLydia LangstonEfexusa COLORADOShades of Amber – Castle Rock 218 Wilcox St Castle Rock, CO 80104 (720)951-1009Website FacebookThe Little Black Chair 6840 S. University Blvd. Suite A Centennial CO, 80122 (720)428-8920 emailus@thelittleblackchair.net Website FacebookTattered to Treasured 2619 West Colorado Avenue Colorado Springs, CO 80904 719-632-6345 Website FacebookShades Of Amber – Monument 125 Second Street PO Box 2971 Monument, CO 80132 (719)265-9921 Website FacebookSimpler Times Designs 10970 S Parker Road A-1A Unit A-1A Parker CO, 80134 (913) 515-5677 Website Facebook

• CoCo

Could polymer clay be used for accents? How would the clay accents be glued onto the pot without fear of falling off?

• Joni A Solis

Doesn't that plant need sunlight to live? Or did you put it inside just for the photos?

• Joyce

Beautiful job on the planter Where did you find a lavender plant that big?

• JoMary

Stunning! Could you give me a cost estimate? Also, could you use hot glue silicone caulk sticks to make you own embellishments?

• Terri Kenton O'Brien

Is this pot for outside gardens too? I just bought 15 old flower pots off of Craigslist and I wanted to redo them, but they are for my patio. Will this paint hold up to our Colorado summers?

Terri
  • Donna

I looked on the Heirloom Traditions Paint website and couldn't find the color "Nickel" listed, nor the Venetian Texture Medium. This must be an old post since those items are not listed for sale anymore....at least not that I could find. Love the pots, but don't know how to duplicate them with currently available products. Any suggestions??

• Lyn

I’d use the closest color to the recommended color.

• Donna

Of course you're right about that, and I would do so. The only problem is that she mixed the original color with the texture mixture, then antiqued it with two different colors in a different paint line, so it is pretty difficult to know what the base coat actually looked like. I had hoped the author of the post would reply, but maybe not. Thanks for your suggestion anyhow!

• Doreen Kennedy

You can buy texture in the paint aisle at Lowe’s and Home Depot. You can also buy small jars of sample paint from both stores. Show the paint clerk the photo. They are pretty good matching colors.

• Doreen Kennedy

I like how your pot turned out.

• Val

Just so gorgeous, you are very talented.

• Mary Porod

This is amazing! Love the transformation.