Picture Perfect Wooden Frame Jewelry Organizer

Last summer I ran across two really nice, wide picture frames (free!), and I immediately had an idea to upcycle them as jewelry organizers for my teenage nieces. This is also an easy gift idea for Mother's Day, Christmas, or a birthday.

With some chicken wire (more technically, it's called hardware cloth), simple hardware, a dowel rod and knobs, you can create a beautiful jewelry holder for your favorite fashionista in no time!

Salvage a picture frame then customize your paint and fabric choices for a truly unique look!

STEP 1 - Gather materials.
You'll need a frame, some wire, a dowel rod, cup hooks, paint, staple gun, fabric, picture hanger. (See blog for complete list.)

STEP 2 - Remove old photo and glass from the frame.
Save the backerboard for Step 4. (Can purchase heavy matboard in the framing section if necessary.)

STEP 3 - Cut and paint.
Cut the hardware cloth to fit the inside of your frame. Cut the dowel rod with a small handsaw the width of your frame. Then spray paint the wire, cup hooks and dowel a coordinating color. (I matched to the knobs I found on clearance at Woodcraft, using RustOleum Hammered Brown spray paint.)

Lightly sand and paint the frame. I used the new Black Dog Salvage Furniture Paint with a shimmer of General Finishes Pearl Effects in Champagne. Add a coat of Guard Dog Satin Topcoat as a protective finish.

STEP 4 - Back of frame.
Attach wire to the inside back of the frame using a staple gun. I discovered that these types of wire really aren't straight but that adds to the whimsy of these organizers!

Attach your fabric of choice to the back of the heavy cardboard using repositionable spray adhesive. I used Krylon Easy-Tack. You could also cover your board with scrapbook paper, wallpaper or contact paper. Cut off excess with sharp scissors.

Staple the covered cardboard to the back outside edge of the frame with the "right" side facing the wire. You'll want to attach it to the outside edge like this to allow space for earrings to hang between the wire and the back. Attach picture hanger.

STEP 5 - Hardware and knobs.
Space out the knobs on the bottom edges of the frame, marking where you want them. Drill a hole for each, then screw the knobs in, tightening by hand.

I added cup hooks to the sides and along the bottom edge of the frame, spacing them between the knobs. This makes a nice place for more necklaces, scarves or lanyards.

The dowel rod rests on two cup hooks. That's a great spot for bracelets, rings, hairbands, and watches. Load it up with bling and ENJOY!

• General Finishes Pearl Effects paint  (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/160656/general-finishes-champagne-pearl-pt.aspx)
  • Knobs  (http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=knobs%20hardware&c2=SU_Woodworking%20Supplies)

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Lori Haught Harper

• Ruth Richardson

Cool idea. Did you attach anything to the dowel underside to prevent it from accidentally slipping off the hooks. I'm thinking of a small nail placed an short distance from each hook (either inside or outside). This would still allow the flexibility of removing the dowel - one end or both, as needed.

• Lisa Battisti

What did you use to hang it on the wall? Would like a pick of the back right before hanging please.

• Lori Haught Harper

This isn't very pretty because I reused the hanger that was on the frame. I would actually recommend using two hangers to keep it straighter since the jewelry could make it lopsided. Live and learn, ha! Hope this helps!

• Kathie Elia

How would you hang/attach stud earrings?

• Anita

You could use hinges on your picture frame on one side screwed to the wall to enable moving the frame away from the wall to remove backs of earrings.