Darlene Mapes
Darlene Mapes
  • Sugar Run, PA

Mystery Perennials

Janice KohlerDarlene MapesMargie  Newman
+11

Can anyone tell me the names of these perennials?
mystery perennials, flowers, gardening, perennials
  • hardy geranium in the middle with the purple flower. (i'm 99.99 % sure) on that one and the one on the right APPEARS to be a fern of some sort. Maybe an asparagus fern?

• Frances S

I have the one in the middle it is so easy to split and transplant very hardy.

• Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.

Yes, the blooming photo in the center is cranesbill - hardy geranium. I have it in several different locations. It thrives in sun, but will tolerate some shade. It comes in a wide variety of colors. It's is very easy to grow, blooms off and on all summer and tends to spread

• Barbara S

stays green all winter, too.

Definitely a geranium in the middle. As someone suggested, the one on the right could be a yarrow. The one on the left might possibly be polemonium.

• Terrie Kaufman

To the BEST of my knowledge neither the first, nor the third is a fern. But what they are is still a mystery although I probably have them in my garden somewhere! <grin>

• My 1929 Charmer

1st one is valerian officinalis. It is an old heirlion plant dating back to 1600. It also a heavy reseeder.

• My 1929 Charmer

Last one is yarrow

• Marieanne Honsberger

Just looked up Valerian officinalis sounds like a great plant addition to any garden:)http://www.bluestem.ca/perennials-valeriana-officinalis.htm

• Vicki Yawn Andrews

hardy geranium in middle and yarrow on end...not sure of first one

• Kay Love-Wood

One one in the middle is like others have said is a geranium. Great plant the one on the far right looks like yarrow. Yarrow has a bloom something like queen ann lace. Reseeds like crazy also.Both have a place in the garden I think.

• Margie Newman

Darlene, I lived in Sugar Run, Pa. 2001-2003.. Great little town, wonderful people....we really miss it...I was shocked when I saw your postBy the way, you have a great site here!!!

• Darlene Mapes

Thank you all so much, you answered my question. I love this site!!!!

• Janice Kohler

The last one is Yarrow. Yellow Yarrow is the most known, but I have red (the bloom fades to orange) and purple (the bloom fades to pink). That's how they look when I dig some up for a friend. They are perennials and love hot, dry. They are usually the last things still blooming when the hot dry July is here. They are not invasive.