How to Build a Wooden Pallet Compost Bin in 6 Easy Steps

Making a compost bin for your yard is much easier than you think. This Wooden Pallet Compost Bin goes together in a few hours with 6 easy steps and is less than half the cost of lumber.
how to build a wooden pallet compost bin in 6 easy steps, composting, go green, how to, pallet, storage ideas
We’ve been wanting to add a composting bin to our backyard for the last couple of years. Several times we looked at compost bin plans and didn’t really see what we wanted. When we were discussing our plans to landscape the back yard, we didn’t want to wait any longer to have a compost bin. So we decided to make a compost bin using wooden pallets.

Since we knew this wooden pallet compost bin would be visible from about any area of our backyard we started by applying a couple coats of exterior wood stain. We left one side unstained, the side most likely to come in constant contact with the compost.
We finished off the Wooden Pallet Compost Bin by stapling the plastic hardware cloth to the inside of the bin. This will keep all of the yard waste and food scraps inside the compost bin and should make the pallets last longer.
Now let’s talk about how we made it possible to plant flowers in the wooden pallet compost bin. It’s very simple to do. 1. Cut your garden burlap into 2 feet lengths, then cut to the width of the openings in the ends of the pallets. 2. Stuff the burlap pieces down into the pallet and secure the ends using the staple gun and staples. 3. Fill the spaces with the Potting Mix and plant with your favorite flowers.
We used pansies, it’s still too early to plant annuals here in Indiana, and pansies are very hardy.
Hoosier Homemade

• Joan Stanley

Where do you find such nice palates!? The only ones I ever see are half rotten, missing or broken boards, never evenly spaced.

Good ones are only on trucks heading south to Mexico.

• Tyler

Joan, I’ve had great luck finding nice pallets near new home construction sites. I always ask if I can take them before I do, and have never been told “no”.

• Monica

how do you keep the snakes out..hubby will nit alliw compost..we fight snakes enough..he sats he will nit build them a home..nest..

• For many years, I pour line of powdered sulfer (gardening ctr, Kings, Tractor Sply) in permiter around area AFTER ensuring no snakes within... Reapply after rains. No Rattlers, Kings, etc near me and mine. Let the Gators in central Florida have them all! Except the blues... Those I like, trained all of my dogs to leave them alone. When they come back in strength, won't need the sulfer as much.

Hope this works as well for you n yours!

• Jp

ho Do you keep it standing upright without falling over? Did you use posts or hinges? I’ve tried pallets and nail them but they eventually fall over.

• Cheryl Bruner

Placing T-posts, then sliding the pallet over them will stabilize three sides of the bin.. ( the T-post will actually be between the two " layers" of the pallets). My son - in- law built a whole pig pen like this for their rescue pot belly 🐖.

• Jp

Thanks for feedback. I’m worm composting in my garage but want to start trying this pallet compost when the snows gone.

• P

might want to use metal hardware cloth insteqd of platic & use on the bottom as well as sides or you are likely to be housing rat & mice before you know it - I also suggest using wire mesh or another pallet backed w metal hardware cloth for a lid for same reason!