Clematis Along Our Fence

Such a pretty scene today! Red Clematis 'Earnest Markham' and blue Clematis 'William Kennett' hover over the pink flowers of Geranium 'Bevan's Variety'. Pink columbine (Aquilegia) bloom in the distance in the Shade Path Garden.
The colorful scene in our Fence Garden today.
Julie @ Wife, Mother, Gardener

• Elizabeth Sagarminaga

Wow, lovely pictures, the clematis has added such a nice bright color to the fence. But there is one thing I would like to ask you.That is what do you do to get such lovely blooming clematis flowers in your garden. I would love to have them in my garden or backyard. Thanks in advance.

• Thanks Elizabeth! Clematis love to have their roots in the shade and their flowers in the sun, so plant some low growing perennials near their base. Also, mulch them with muchroom compost, as they prefer a more alkaline soil. Make sure to water them well for their first year and chose a variety that works for your heat/cold zone! That should do it :) Julie

• Marcia K. Skinner

What zones do the do best in? I am in Zone 6