Suzi B
Suzi B
  • Ottumwa, IA
Asked on Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone know if your Rhubarb get a heavy frost/freezes and it's leaves turn black is it's now poisionous?

Terrie NeudorfChelsea BSusan S
+5

• 3po3

I have never heard that before, but it seems to be true. Iowa State University confirms and explains it here: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsafety/news/fsnews.cfm?newsid=18424 thanks for the heads-up Suzi.

Very interesting. Do remember, as the article says, that the leaves of rhubarb are always poisonous. It is only the stalks that are edible.

• Nice share.....I never knew that but we have always eaten rubarbs with strawberries & vanilla ice cream...at least when we were in NY and had the garden

• Suzi B

Steve G thanks for the lookup posted that on my FB page to let others know... Sure glad I had the chance to visit while at the airport this weekend!! lol

• Nancy A

I didn't know if it was poison, but I wouldn't have eaten it anyway, because freezing makes it mushy.

• Susan S

Facts important to remember. I had forgotten. Anyway, my rhubarb just getting started.

• Chelsea B

well the leaves are always poisonous so don't eat them. The only good thing about the leaves are they give their plant roots the nutrients they need to make more full plant. careful though the leaves will kill other plants .

• Terrie Neudorf

Yes , the rhubarb leaves are always poisonous . Ours turn back and die back ever winter . It has nothing to do with the leaf change .