Popcorn Ceiling Makeover- Low Budget, Big Impact

$400

Our new house came complete with popcorn ceilings in every room. We were looking for an inexpensive way to update the ceilings. When we removed the soffits from the cabinets, it left big holes in the ceiling. It would have been very expensive to patch the holes, scrape the popcorn, skim coat and paint the ceiling. The solution? We found these glue up styrofoam tiles .They glued right up, were easy to cut with an exacto knife and added architectural interest to the ceiling. The product cost us around $400 for the kitchen. We get a ton of compliments. You can read more details of our kitchen makeover on our blog.

popcorn ceiling makeover low budget big impact, home decor, home maintenance repairs, painting, tiling

Ceiling tiles after installation-Affiliate link: We get paid a very small commission if you make a purchase but it never costs you a penny extra. BUY THEM HERE

After Kitchen Makeover with glue up ceiling tiles

Kitchen before we removed the soffits.

Kitchen after we removed the soffits with a big hole in the ceiling.

Installing the right on top of the popcorn ceiling.

After the kitchen makeover.

Another photo of the completed ceiling.

Bella Tucker Decorative Finishes

• Gladys

How much repair has needed to be done over the years? Seems like some tiles might come loose. Thanks.

• @Gladys It's been up for 4 years with no problems or touch ups.

• Gladys

@Bella Tucker Decorative Finishes Wonderful!

• Norma

Did this same repair on our big living room/kitchen, after less than two years we have had almost all the ceiling come loose and had to be redone. Now facing about 20 loose tiles to be repaired again. They came loose just lately. We have scraped all the popcorn off where it was redone. Apparently we missed a few spots in our repairs. Very disgusted . We've probably put $1000 in this ceiling. And Yes we did use plenty of glue. Henry's accoustal tile glue.

• Kyla

What glue/adhesive did you use on the tiles? Any caulking between the tiles? Thanks!

• Susan Brandt

curious, what is thw dimensions of the peninsula?

• Kimberley Hosmer

Do these tiles reduce the transfer of sound? How much do they cost? How hard are they to cut to size around corners, etc.?

• Tso5166288

Are Styrofoam ceiling tiles safe to use in the kitchen? Styrofoam is flammable and gives off noxious vapors in a fire. They are pretty, inexpensive, and easy to install, but won't they kill you in a fire?

• Jack

Styrofoam is non biodegradable. Lasts for centuries in landfills. Don't use it.

• Allen B

Modern Styrofoam tiles are not flammable.

• Pam Crouch

I'm not putting them in a landfill. I'm putting them on the ceiling. And besides, this way they are spread out thin. Love 'em

• Jessica Hughes

Haha exactly!! Lol

• Alison

Styrofoam tiles don't burst into flames they melt and drip hot plastic on anyone who has the misfortune of being trapped by a fire. I have unfortunately had to nurse burn victims of these incidents . That is why they are banned in the UK . Sorry you have done such a beautiful job, but you may want to think of the potential risk to you and your family .

• Sonia Morrow

Well explained Alison. That's the reason we have them BANNED here.

• Gail

Where can I purchase the beautiful hanging lights over the island

• Charlotte

Ceiling popcorn often includes asbestos. With these tiles contain asbestos ? Can this be used instead of the expensive removal process?

• Karen FitzGerald

Yes! In fact that is a prime reason to cover popcorn ceilings with tiles or other products, as the removal process can release asbestos fibers into the air -- a major health hazard.
  • Maryann

Did you have to scrape any of the popcorn for leveling? It looks fabulous.

• Damaris

@Maryann usually you do not need to scrape any popcorn off unless it is unstable and it falling apart to touch. For leveling purposes its not needed.

• Jo

Glue ceiling tiles. What about use on a vaulted ceiling?

• Sharon Stone

Where did you get the styrofoam tiles? Also could they be painted or treated with something to use as a backsplash? I have always loved the ones they sell for that made from plastic or whatever but they want so much for them.

• Jeb3750391

Styrofoam ceiling tiles Here in UK we are removing these from our ceilings as they are a Huge fire risk. They burn like mad and drip melted foam giving off fumes. Not worth the risk specially in a kitchen.

• Jean Smallshaw

I agree. These tiles are huge fire-risk anywhere in the house. Not worth the danger of hot dripping plastic in a fire.

• Victoria Hill Taylor

I have read they can be tough to install because the edges don't match, you have gaps, etc. Did you encounter this?

• Two7699385

I am wanting to do this in my bathroom...any suggestions? Moisture etc?

• Cindy Kuster

What color did you paint the cabinets or did you replace - this looks awesome

• Linda

Since the popcorn surface is not level, were there any problems with the tiles not sitting level over that?

• Suzieakers07

I wondered the same thing.

• Diane Kinnaird

You can scrape them off.

• Linda

The whole point of putting up the tiles was to avoid scraping off the popcorn.

• Beckie Carder

I think the point of putting up the tiles was to conceal the rest of the ceiling Reno. This is an awesome solution to that problem. You can easily use a board attached to a mophandle to dislodge the popcorn. They also have a machine that will suck it up as it dislodges. I was looking for a solution to my own popcorn ceiling. The fact that you have more soundproofing Ina noisy part of any household is a bonus. I would love to know what colors you used on your cabinets, if you don't mind sharing. Great job!

• Dennis

Did you consider the fire safety of this installation? Many jurisdictions and insurance companies would not allow it. Foam burns with a thick black smoke and quickly ignites. I am sorry to ruin your creative solution but I don't think that it was a good idea.

• Karen Williams

This a lovely re-do. Other options for ceiling tiles -- metal ones, natural or painted, they come in sheets or individual tiles, can also be used for back- splashes. A friend did this with a B&B remodel & it looks great. She actually got a discount from the insurance company!

• Diane Kinnaird

The tin would cost a fortune!! They do have faux tin made from plastic. Those are about 2 bucks for a small sheet. Still a fortune. Can't remember the size. I have wanted to do mine that way, just can't afford it. Do you know where to get the tin or faux tin at a better price?

• Kimberly Cox

Some European countries are outlawing these tiles because of what has happened in kitchen fires. Love them, too, but not worth the risk.

• Dennis

Did you try Lowes or Home Depot? I'm from Canada so my sources are different. On second thought have you tried google? The question?

• K

What is name of ceiling tile I don't see it at Amazon.

• Jeanne Simpson

I love the look, wish I'd seen this before having the popcorn removed from our "new" house! Our new cabinets will be in similar colors. I love the pendant lights over your peninsula. Where did you get them?

• Ruth Wyant

In my home we have not only popcorn ceilings but we have popcorn walls. I hate it, and if you rub up against it you're probably skin your arm . My husband has done this so many times. We've kept a lot of big bandages for the boo-boos. We rent this house so we really can't do anything about it. But why would anyone put it on the wall

• Lizzy L

Great idea! Did you get them up with glue only?

• Macdonaldjm

No question. just wanted to say I love love love how you updated your cabinets. Did you do them yourself or have them done?

• Bee7158481

Are you aware of a product to place on ceilings and walls which would also serve as sound proofing?

• Dunnington

there is a product called QUIET ROCK. it's just like wallboard but it's a cement board product. we used it on our bedroom ceiling and walls for sound proofing. you can simply install it over your existing wallboard.

• Bee7158481

Not aware - but now I am. I so appreciate your information!!!! Thank you!

• Vad2336193

It looks Beautiful! Where did you get the beautiful hanging lights please?

• Ver3137299

I know that answer! I have one in grey in my dining room. I got it from West Elm. Lovely makeover!

• Chey

Wow! An amazing transformation! Can you tell me the approximate dimension of the total area - kitchen and dining room? I love the ceiling panels you put in and would consider them for my space - open kitchen & dining. Great job! That beautiful lighting is like the icing on a cake. Beautiful color scheme.

• Patricia

What kind of glue did you use?

• Dsouthern

What did you use to apply paint to the tiles?

• Juliette Blinco

where did you get the tiles

• Gnt9252566

I love the way you did your cabinets. How did you paint them? Did you put a wash or stain and wipe it of afterwards? What colors did you use?

• Dpr10388801

can the styroformtiles be put in a small bathroom ceiling, which has a shower? I have part of the ceiling without popcorn and the other part with a covered plastic lighting.

• Gerrie

My popcorn ceiling is starting to crumble and flake off the ceiling ( I hate popcorn ceilings), can I still put the tiles up, I keep thinking if the popcorn ceiling is crumbling and falling, the new ceiling tiles will come down or loosen because the popcorn ceiling is crumpling above it. Open to any suggestions about to add or not add the ceiling tiles to my crumbling popcorn ceiling.

• Lll8273720

It would be best to remove the popcorn ceiling. It's a simple BUT MESSY task.

• Lisa rossi

Will this product glue well to plaster ceilings?

• Deb

Your kitchen is stunning!!! I clicked on the link for those tiles, but is shows a different style that's not as attractive as yours. Did you purchase yours through Amazon, or perhaps a local home improvement store?

• Bsw10139155

First love love the makeover. My husband is asking is this fireproof ???

• Sha

What did you glue it with and will they pop off after a period of time?

• Rebecca Crawford Burk

Did you have to scrape or prep the ceiling at all, or just glue right on top of the popcorn as is... Seems like it would be difficult to get the tiles to lay flat without a semi flat surface to adhere to. I am VERY interested! Our whole house has that popcorn mess, but I've hesitated to do anything due to the cost and labor involved. Yours looks amazing!

• Terri

I have this on a popcorn ceiling in my kitchen, and they routinely pop off. It's kind of a pain to drag out a ladder and re-glue, but it sure is an improvement!

• Aim12690816

How strong are the tiles? Are they prone to dents and flaking? Did you paint yours?

• Aim12690816

What type of paint did you use on your cabinets please? I love how yours turned out.

• Sedz

I have actually done this in my kitchen...it really was easy, especially since they can be put up over the popcorn! My question is, what did you do about the popcorn ceiling in other rooms of the house?

• Sarah Ridgley Jacobson

There are several videos on Youtube about scraping popcorn ceilings by spraying them with water. You should be prepared to have patch and paint. It will be messy but fairly inexpensive. Worst case you would update if with another texture if the ceilings were in bad shape.

• Karen FitzGerald

Have the popcorn tested by a lab for asbestos before you consider scraping it off. Scraping can release the hazardous asbestos fibers into the air. Better to cover it with something like these tiles or wood planks or beadboard.
  • Dagmar Kugler

What about if your ceiling has cracks in it? Do you need to take it down or can you recommend a good long lasting fix that would keep the new ceiling up for a while? You

• Vicki Bushert

We had this problem and it was a specific beam in the attic that when walked upon (such as to add electrical using attic) it would crack more and more. Our fix, take a battery operated stud finder, more off when the beams were all along the crack and about 5 inches from each side of crack used sheetrock screws to screw into the joist/studs. This eliminated the continued cracking. When using the screws, screw in the head of screw about 1/8" into the ceiling sheetrock. The we just used white toothpaste such as colgate (or you can get white spackle) to dab into hoes and along the crack and paint over using upshot paint. Upshot is made by Kilz and is specifically made for matching older ceilings and covering sstains etc. and is made to shoot up towards a ceiling. With little to no overspray.

• Vicki Bushert

not "more off" but Mark off

• Bbetheonly

What did the new ceiling cost?

• Karen

Can you use these for a backsplash without removing existing backsplash tiles?

• Debi Sewall

Did you have to remove the moulding or could you butt right up to it?

• Judy Sullivan

Do they need to be painted or do you leave them as is? Also, do you have to put a protective coating of any sort on them?

• Sharon Mccain

Can they be painted?

• Betsy Mausehardt Land

What is the brand of ceiling tiles you used?

• Linda lisk

Love the make over ! What color paint and brand did you use for the cabinets or did you purchase new ones ?
  • Red20172717

What paint did you use for the cabinets? Also, where did you purchase the cabinet handles? Many thanks!
  • Ange Sant

Are the tiles fireproof? We had these tiles in the UK back in the 70s / 80s, but they melted in housefires, causing horrendous burns. Just wondering if they'd been updated?
  • Michelle

I clicked on your link to find these tiles and it took me to Amazon, but I did not see this particular tile design. Who manufactures this particular design? What is it called, if it has a name or number. Thank you. Michelle
  • Cjb21965724

Is a popcorn ceiling something sprayed on or is it a ceiling that's been painted with a textured paint? Could there be asbestos in either?
    • Janet Martin Wade

It is sprayed on with a texture type sprayer. Paint can be added to make the finish more durable.
    • Suzanne keller

In 1979 asbestos containing ceiling material was banned but manufacturers were allowed to use up existing stocks so it shows up in house built well into the 1980's -- so proceed with care and get it tested if the house was built before the 1990's
    • Karen FitzGerald

Our whole house has popcorn ceilings. I didn't worry about them until my daughter got a bunk bed in her room, and started knocking off bits of the popcorn texture. So, I sent a sample to a lab, and indeed it contains asbestos. Removing asbestos containing popcorn is too hazardous, so I am looking into a solution like this one to cover it up. House was built in 1977.
  • Susan Wodarski

What color did you paint your cabinets? and did you do it yourself.

Thanks, Sue
    • The cabinets are a custom mix of 50% Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Pure White and French Linen with a custom mixed glaze. We own a cabinet painting company and yes, we painted them.
  • Judy Lesieur

What kind of clue do u use to put tiles up and will it stay
    • Artemis

'Popcorn' is very loose on the ceiling and comes off easily so I'd be concerned about long term adhesion. Please let us know what glue you used, especially if I can avoid scraping the ceiling. It would be a lot less labor intensive and less messy. I love the look.
  • Jane smith

What color is the bar/ island.?
  • Per28202423

how much total cost-my kitchen looks like yours?
  • Judy Porter

Where do l order these?
    • Raukon

The link to this provided for by the contributor was from Home Depot and is no longer available, However, there are other ceiling tiles at Home Depot that are similar. I would suggest that you do a Google search for ceiling tiles. Check your home-improvement box stores' websites as well Or talk to the experts at one of the stores for more info. when researching for this type of tile, be sure to read reviews as quality of these items vary And usually have to be ordered online so you get them sight unseen.

• Lin725234

What do you do to cover up the edge of a ceiling (not abutting to a wall)?
    We have a cathedral ceiling so at one point the ceiling ends to a half wall .
  • Kathryn May Chapman

Do you have to paint the tiles? Did you paint yours?
  • Georgie

can I use that ceiling tile in other rooms?
    • 16999903

The answer should be yes to this. I've seen others use a similar product in other areas. This would be a question for the manufacturer, but it should be fine in wet areas like bathroom ceilings.
  • Susan Wodarski

Can the paint color for the cabinets be duplicated at Sherwin Williams?

Thanks, Sue
    • 16999903

I can answer this. Sherwin Williams, or any paint supplier can duplicate any color. I had a night stand that was in great condition, except for the top where glasses had been placed and the paint peeled. I took the drawer out and had them scan the color of the paint right off the face of the drawer. I chose an eggshell finish, and it was a perfect match. If you can carry anything to have the color scanned, it should be successful anywhere. I would have taken the entire night stand if I needed.
  • Irene Gronewald

what color at cabinets painted?
  • Aun29234983

Do these ceiling tiles change the amount of "echo" in the room? I know a smooth drywall ceiling reflects sound. I assume popcorn ceilings are quieter. How do these compare?
    • Charlie Hentz

While I cannot say for sure, I would surmise that being styrofoam they'd be more quiet. Definitely better than before, but maybe not by much. I would bet there are similarly styled acoustic tiles if not.

• Ume-Kulsoom

Hello, how can I learn to fix bulb on roof like u did. You did a great job. Please reply me I love and want to learn this too. Thanks

• Barbara Comstock

I have 40 year old popcorn ceilings that are more uneven and lumpy than the one in the picture. Would it have to be scraped first? Thanks.

• Lisas Rexstar

If I want to paint the panels, with what should I prime them to keep them from soaking up all the paint?

• Lisas Rexstar

What can I use to keep the styrfoam from slurping up all the paint, since I do want to put the panels in my bedroom,painted!

• You can buy them already with paint, mine are a copper color and beautiful! These go up so fast and make a huge difference! Bought mine on Amazon!

• MamaSita

It looks great, what glue was used?

• Barbara Bateman

Did you do the ceiling before or after the recessed lighting?

• Bert

First looks great and love the idea but am confused on price and time frame. Says easy and two materials but then the price is $4, 000 in 4 weeks? Is that for the whole house? What's the average price for the tiles and what are the size of the tiles

• Cba34021129

What kind of paint did you use on the tiles? Also did you paint before or after they were put up?

• Ana

What type of glue did you use?

• Josie Holland

the kitchen looks awesome and i’ve popcorn ceilings and i hated them i’m gonna have try this. how hard is it to do the ceiling?

• Toni Maxwell

My friend has popcorn ceilings & she'd love to change them,but in living room,dining room & kitchen is vaulted with a center beam at the Apex of the ceiling that goes thru all 3 rooms. Will this work for her ceilings? If not, any ideas? Help

• Brittany Pearson

i’m following your post, Toni! I have a similar situation happening. - vaulted ceilings in our living room and kitchen -then the dining area is a different level. ALL POPCORN 😭

• Terri Everett Sexton

Can you find this ceiling tile at lowes or homedepot? And is this what it is called is eilkng tiles ?

• Linda

This looks beautiful and easy but I am just wondering how long has it been? How does the glue hold up to the heat in the kitchen? We are redoing our kitchen now and I like this idea but my kitchen is much smaller than yours

• Karen

Do the tiles have a fire rating?

• Sharon Nelson

are these styrofoam ceiling tiles cleanable.

• Cheryl

So it sticks well to the popcorn ? How did you work around light fixtures?

• Becky

Luckily there are no popcorn ceilings in the rental I live in and am SO glad! Finally, I see beautiful options to hide that ugly mess! I love your idea that you went with and had no idea there were so many options out there until I saw your post. Obviously there are a lot of people out there that feel the same way! I understand the initial reasons for the "sound proofing" but have felt that popcorn ceilings are hideously ugly! You did a beautiful job!

• Roberta

Beautiful redo on both the cabinets and the ceiling. For those concerned about the styrofoam, ‘vintage’ Style ceiling tiles also come in aluminium and a plastic type material. Might cost a little more but would also look beautiful

Great job!!!