What Do You Get When You Cross a Vintage Crib End and Chair?...

I create and build furniture, lighting, wall art, folk art, decorative nautical oars, mailboxes, spackle art, whirly gigs, well, pretty much what ever comes to mind, all from re purposed items. Thanks for lookin' :)
First I took the chair apart. It was old and pretty easy to get apart. (Please keep in mind, I did this as I went along. I didn't have a plan).
Take your chair apart until you are left with just the two sides/legs. As a side note: Try to salvage your dowels to use later in the project. Don't worry if they break off near the hole, you can still use what's left.
I cut the back of the chair down to where the red ribbon is. I left this on for added support for the back. Once I cut them down, I lifted up the crib to my desired height, I marked the seat back, then drilled holes for my screws. I like to hide my screw heads, so I measure the width of the dowel to my drill bit and go about 1/4" into the chair wood. Then a smaller drill bit to match the screws I'm using to go all the rest of the way through the chair back. Once you've got all your screws in, simply place the dowel in the hole, mark it flush with the wood and cut off any excess.
I used reclaimed wood for the seat. Because my chair was wider in the front, it gave this bench the same effect. I laid out all my wood across the seat, then drew a line underneath to give me my angles. I just cut them and attached. I left an overhang so I could run a support board across the front, as shown.
My last step was to add a board underneath for stability. I Painted then used a vintage burlap split pea bag as a cushion cover.

• Vintage crib end, vintage chair and reclaimed wood.  (I got the crib ends free from a friend and the chairs were only $5 at a thrift store! I used pallet)

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/junkdrunkrepurposedstuff

• Liz

Any ideas what to do with the original backs of the chairs? I'm trying to think of something. Possibly a wall hanging? Thanks!

• Suzette

Hi Liz! Can you post a picture of the chair for me to see? (unless it's like mine) The chair I used was toast. All the layers on the back came apart, but I saved the pieces for something I may be inspired to do down the road. If It hadn't fallen apart, I more than likely would have used it in another piece of furniture I make.

• Suzette

I was just thinking how neat it looks as a door on an old crate. Give it a couple hinges and a cool old knob. I did this years ago in my bathroom. Every one had their own vintage crate on the wall for storage.

• Carol Singleton

If the 2 chairs match you could remove the decorative insert, attach them on the end where the seat meets the back. You could use them to decorate a cornice or as an inset on a flat door.

• Nancy

I have a shelf made from an old chair back cut off at the seat height, and a 10" shelf attached to the back. It looks very neat and I have used it inside and out. It is painted an antique green and is distressed/

• Elaine Matthews

The back would make a pretty decorative mirror. Also would make a nice wreath for the door, putting a flower arrangement in one corner and maybe adding a bird to mimic a bird cage.

• Priscilla G

In time there will be before, during and after pictures....getting a good clean dry work area fixed.

• KerHerre

Your Very welcome :-)