Juneolsen
Juneolsen
  • United Kingdom
Asked on Jun 1, 2013

Distressing and ageing the look of soup tins

JuneolsenZSusie Tincknell Smith
+4

Does anyone know how to achieve a galvanized look on soup tin cans?
Have a nice project in mind, but need your help!!
Any advice or ideas are welcome
June
  • Z

It seems to me there's a paint medium that gives a frosty like look that could give cans a galvanized look, but I can't think of it right now. Have you search Plaid or other companies that make craft paints yet June? It I weren't ready to head to bed soon I'd search for you.

• Lesa

Yes, lightly spray bleach (use plastic bottle) and place in the sun. repeat until you get the effect desired. i also do this on NEW tin, etc containers i.e.flowerpots,watering cans to age them.

• Lesa

JUNE, FORGET to mention, you may want to lightly sand the surface first. hope this helps.

• Susie Tincknell Smith

I've read that spraying the cans with a strong salt/water solution and then leaving them in the sun will speed up the aging process. You should spray them repeatedly until you get the look you want.

• Z

I remembered the product I was thinking of last night. Kylon brand Hammered Metal in silver looks allot like galvanized metal. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iI_xjOttjcs/THb-RhsyjQI/AAAAAAAAAK0/qHvcFZJusSI/s1600/DSC_0131.JPG

• Z

I just needed a good nights rest to think. :^)

• Juneolsen

hope you feel rested today...thank you for your advice Becky!