Asked on Jun 1, 2013

Any cheap suggestions for weed kill on our large gravel driveway?

Jan judeMona CasselmanBarb Rosen
+7

Product to be dispersed in liquid form or other...What about vinegar? Would that be costly? It is probably kinder to the environment that toxic products....
  • Nancy Cozad

I tried it and had no luck is there a special kind

• Nancy Hatcher

Kitchen vinegar isn't strong enough to kill your weeds. There is a stronger vinegar that can be used with a little better success. Sorry, I can't remember if it's industrial or medical. If you search this site there was a discussion about vinegar not too long ago. You can try salt, however, it will "kill" the soil beneath it and nothing will grow there. In your case that may be a positive thing.

• Jeanette S

We have used vinegar in a spray bottle for years to keep the weeds out from where they come up between the asphalt of the street and the concrete curb. It is less toxic but be careful around things you want to keep...it will kill them. Use just vinegar in a spray bottle...but if a large area, get a pump up garden sprayer!

You need to use horticultural grade vinegar if you go that route.

• The Blooming Gardener

Block the weeds from the sun with something. Cardboard for two weeks works, but might not be okay in your situation. Carpet works too, and other things block the sun...depends on how ugly you can tolerate. Carpet stores usually have sections of removed carpet in their dumpsters from their jobs.

• I read that boiling water will work. I did try it, and it does work! Just pour the water directly on the weeds. But be careful because the boiling water will kill everything that it is poured onto. ~M

• Barb Rosen

If you have a large gravel walkway or driveway, my vote would be for a flame weeder. Here's one but there are tons and they are easily available and environmentally safe! http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_Dragon_Propane_Torch_K.html Did I mention what a blast they are to use??

• Mona Casselman

Baking soda. Like vinegar, changes the pH of the soil,kills the weeds but non-toxic. Sprinkle on then water it in. Reapply as needed. (Buy the giant bag of Arm and Hammer at Costco/Sam's or other warehouse store).

• Jan jude

I haven't tried it but I've heard borax will also kill weeds.