Louise P
Louise P
  • Utica, NY
Asked on Jun 1, 2013

Please recommend bathtub for someone suffering from mild disabilities

Louise PDdiane DMidlantic Contracting LLC / Midlantic Electric Inc
+4

I want to know cost of bathtubs you can step into, not risk falling.
  • Kimberly Barney

I thought of putting one of these in my mother's home. They are not inexpensive. However, my mother did not like the idea of having to wait until the bathtub is drained before she could get out. She said she would be freezing by that time. Another thought is to install a walk-in shower.

• Louise P

Thank you Kimberly. That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

• Louise, Kimberly is right about having to wait in the tub while the water drains. I always have clients install a heat lamp over the tub. There is a company called Tub Cut that will cut your existing bathtub so that you can walk into it. If you purchase a new walk in tub, be sure to check the drain times as some are faster than others. But, like Kimberly, a roll in, step less shower would be good as well.

• Louise P

Thank you for your suggestions!

• We did a bathroom remodel for a disabled Vet that had trouble stepping into the tub. The tub and shower were removed as well as the floor tiles in the room. New ADA compliant tiles were installed on a new floor base with no step into the shower area which was also re-tiled. A seat was built into the shower wall for comfortable sitting during your shower. The new flooring was pitched with a wet bed so the water would not infiltrate the room. Handicapped rails were added for ease of access. Of course you will have to like taking showers over baths. I hope this info helps a bit.

• Ddiane D

would love to see pictures of that Midlantic Contracting LLC...

• Louise P

Thanks to all for your help.