Ginny C
Ginny C
  • Woodstock, GA
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Gardenia leaves turning yellow

Ginny CDonna CDouglas Hunt

Earlier this spring I planted three large gardenia bushes and recently noticed the leaves turning yellow on one of them. I asked someone at Pike nursery and they said the soil lacked a nutrient but not to do anything and they would be ok. Now the other two are doing the same thing. Is there something else I should do?

Yellowing leaves on plants are generally caused by water--likely too much of it--or a nutritional deficiency. It sounds like Pike's is suggesting it is the latter. Take a close look at the leaves on your gardenias. If the yellowing seems to be between the veins on the leaves, that is a sign of chlorosis, and you should apply Ironite or another fertilizer with iron chelate.

• Donna C

I bought a gardenia also this year and mine is the same.It actually looks burnt.I thought it might be my soil also.Thanks Douglas I will try your suggestion

• Ginny C

Thank you for suggestion. I will take a closer look at the leaves.