Your Momma
Your Momma
  • Hometalk Helper
  • San Diego, CA

Hiding an Ugly Shed That Houses Pool Equipment.

We have an eye sore of a pool shed in the back yard that houses the filtration system of the pool. Relocating all the equipment to the side of the house was going to be crazy expensive, what with having to tear up the concrete and run all new plumbing, electricity and gas lines. Definitely not in our budget. So the only option I had was to beautify it, instead, so it wouldn't be such an eye sore!
hiding an ugly shed that houses pool equipment , container gardening, flowers, gardening, outdoor furniture, outdoor living, pool designs, repurposing upcycling, succulents
Here is the eye sore of a shed. So the first thing I did was paint it to a more pleasing color, instead of the muddy brown the previous owners had painted it. I love gray, so that's what I went with.
Doesn't that look so much better already? But I still wanted to have the shed blend in with the surrounding, so I thought I'd build a vertical gardening system on the left part of the shed.
I bought drainage pipes (3 inch diameter) and cut them to 2 foot long sections. Then I capped the ends and drilled 5 circular holes in each one, with drainage holes opposite of each plant hole.
I spray painted the pipes so they wouldn't look stark white against the shed.
I used corner braces, and attached them to the shed. There was an inch overhang on the top side that allowed me to run wire rope through.
I drilled 2 holes on each top end and bottom end of the pipes to run wire rope through. I used a ferrule and stop set for each set of wires and crimped them in place, spacing each pipe 8 inches apart. This keeps them in place.
This is what the vertical gardening system looks like all set up. Time to fill the holes with succulents!
Starting to look cute!
A view of the overhang that I used to string the wire rope through. After all the holes were filled with succulents, I added a few other items I had in my garden to finish off the beautification of the shed.
And here is the shed, all finished. I love how it turned out, and now the shed is a pleasant focal point instead of a sad eye sore. What do you think? I hope you think it looks as nice as I do!

• Anissa Taylor Proctor

Are the pipes full of the soil? I'm asking because if not, how was it kept in just the area the succulent is planted in- and when watering how does the soil stay put? I just love succulents. My favorite. ☘☘

• Your Momma

Hi Anissa. Yes, I filled the pipes entirely with soil meant for succulents, then added the plants.

• Nanc

What suggestions do you have for storing this type of summer wall hanging for the winter months in Minnesota? I have the exact same issue you had by our pool and this is so cute.

• Candie Thibault

I want to apologize to everyone on this site right now who are enjoying it, giving the writer credit for a great idea & job, who are asking for advice, & for those making suggestions to add something that would also look great, or what have you. There is something that I just feel like I need to say to someone on here, who has made an uncalled for comment about something that I haven't seen ANYBODY do on this site. If someone has TRULY done what you are saying, then I'll apologize for this. I feel like I need to say this now because I'm so tired of reading something & having atleast 1 person ruin everybody else's fun!

MR. MOE BOATMAN...I am so tired of there being ATLEAST 1 OR MORE PEOPLE, LIKE YOURSELF, WHO HAS TO GO MAKE A COMMENT & RUIN EVERYBODY ELSE'S FUN! You're suggesting, no saying, that people on here are complaining, instead of "giving credit to a job well done!". I strongly disagree with you because all I've seen are people complimenting the writer, then asking for suggestions, & adding possible ideas they have thought of to make the writer's project look even better, or have asked their question & then complimented the writer. IF THERE'S ANYONE ON HERE WHO ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT ANYTHING, THAT PERSON WOULD BE YOU, MR. BOATMAN! I am so sick & tired of enjoying something that I see on any site & there being atleast that 1 person, like yourself, who has to ruin it! IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING & YOU'RE THINKING, OR IMAGINING THAT SOMEONE'S DOING OR SAYING SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'T LIKE & ARE RUINING PEOPLE'S FUN, PLEASE JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!! I know that you & maybe some others are going to say that I'm doing the same thing right now, but THAT ISN'T MY INTENTION AT ALL! I'm just trying to make people as yourself, realize what you're actually doing when you say things as you have. All I can say is, if you don't like what people are saying, then just ignore it, don't read the comments, or if that doesn't work, then switch sites.

I'm sorry if I just sounded like a hypocrite just now, but that was definitely not my intention at all! I'm just sooo tired of people doing things like this! I'm also sorry for the rant! LOL Have a very nice day everyone, even Mr. Boatman, & THANK YOU TO THE WRITER FOR A JOB VERY WELL DONE! I LOVE IT👍💞😊

• Kris

What did you use to cut the holes for the plants? I see they look a bit rough around the edges. Did you do each by hand maybe with tin snips?

It looks awesome!

• Diana

Vastly improved

• Teresa
    31 minutes ago

What a terrific idea! Love it. You have given me some ideas, so for that, I thank you very much.