Lawn Care

I need help with getting my lawn growing. We live in NH and the soil's not very good. We like to say we grow rocks around here. We've lived here for 7 years and have tried numerous fertilizers, hardy grass seed, etc. and nothing works. We've added lime to change the pH. Nothing. We have 4 kids and a small dog so that doesn't help in the back and also limits us to "safe" fertilizers, etc.
At this point, I'm tired of wasting money. Do we need to bring in new soil? Obviously I'd prefer not as that would be really $$ but I'd rather know than waste more money on cheaper methods that do nothing.
My priority this year is the front yard. We have a little patch that I'd like to have some nice grass on, but it's just dirt and eventually grows weeds. If I do anything, I want to get grass there.
Does anyone have any tips? Help would be much appreciated!
backyard
backyard
front yard

• Jackie T

For me just need water

• Danielle Pike

Personally I think ÿou need to completely start over. Either using ready lawn or seed. Rotary hoeing then re level and seeding. As the brown patches are just dirt, where there is no grass there, watering it will not help. A long way to get some nutrients into the ground before seeding could be planting it all in potatoes. Then once you've harvested the potatoes make sure you dig them all up. Rotary hoe, then level out with a roller and use grass seed. Throwing more grass seed on top of what you have will most likely result in patchy grass.