Jennifer Sullivan
Jennifer Sullivan
  • Norman, OK
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Pool landscaping

Jennifer SullivanDouglas HuntLinda Dann
+2

We installed a pool last year and I would like any advice about landscaping. I want to do low maintenance plants that won't clog up filters etc. if you have any advice, I'm all ears! Thanks!

Pool makes me think tropical, so how about some palms? Needle palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, is one of the hardiest palms out there. Then, how about some hardy hibiscus, along with some cannas. Elephant ears are probably marginally hardy where you are but would do great in pots that you could overwinter in a garage or basement. Russian cypress (Microbiata decussata) has lacy evergreen foliage that would make it a great edging plant around a pool.

• Jennifer Sullivan

Douglas, thank you very much! I am going to head to the nursery to start looking at some of your suggestions this weekend. It gets me back into an excited state of mind thinking that this "hole in the ground" can actually be exciting as a landscape feature in our yard. I really appreciate the suggestions!!!

• Linda Dann

One piece of advice and this may not be a problem for you- but I have a dog who kicks madly after doing his thing- and that sends mulch flying into the pool- Beware of too much mulch!

And Jennifer you know we're going to want to see some photos after you get a' plantin'.

• Jennifer Sullivan

Thanks for the comments. Once I get some planting started I will post some pics and see if there is any feedback, suggestions. Ay aid and or assistance is wonderful!