Roxanne Thornton
Roxanne Thornton
  • Coram, NY
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Dead space

Roxanne ThorntonEvelyn McMullenNancy Hatcher
+11

In my front yard, I removed rocks and placed them around my wisteria...problem is that now weeds grow in the middle area where maple and weeping cherry trees are, I also have a huge stump there....any suggestions on how to make the stump a mushroom house? and what to do with the remaining weed area??
dead space, gardening, landscape, outdoor living
  • KMS Woodworks

If you picked up a bird bath and installed it upside down over the stump...that would look like a giant mushroom. As far as the weeds go, removing he rocks and laying some newspaper mulch has been a great low cost way to deter weeds.

• Cheryl

We just had a bunch of tree's removed and they brought in a stump grinder that took the stump down below the surface. It wasn't expensive, I think $20 a stump, but that price might be low because we had almost 50 trees removed. It was done by a tree service.

• I think you'll need to take the rocks up and put down some landscape fabric to control the weeds. If you can still get Round-Up (we can't here in Ontario), then you could spray all the weeds that are there now without removing the rocks. But that's not a permanent solution. As for the stump - I agree that you could get a stump grinder to come in - they work beautifully. But if you like the stump itself, you could put a big pot on it or place a birdbath on it (that's what we did in a shady spot in our yard).

• Gail Salminen

@Heather Benton actually you can buy it in Ontario. It is kept under lock and key in the store, but they sell it to residents dealing with such plants as poison oak/ivy, so it all in how you ask. @Roxanne Thornton the problem with having a pile of rocks, stones etc. is that evenually enough dirt blows into the crevices that eventually weed seeds will take hold and grow :P I have a devoted rock pile in an unseen area in the backyard and usually pile them there. If the weeds are too bad I just spray them and then remove the debris. Mulching the area where the grass doesn't grow will help to keep the weeds down, but highly recommend a shredded mulch as the bark chips act the same way stones do. You will have to remulch each year, but the look will be much cleaner.

• Georgia Garrett

My sister, a professional gardener, just taught me something. She alternates layers of Preen and pinestraw for her mulch. As the pinestraw deteriorates it forms a matt that the weeds can't grow through. So far as the stump: once when I lost a tree I used the stump as a plant stand. I put a big pot on it and a vining plant that practically covered the stump by the end of summer. Still miss that stump.

• Evelyn McMullen

My son & I put down landscape fabric before putting on the rocks, It's done a pretty good job as far as weeds go but lawn grass gets thru (runners from where the lawn is) and nutgrass. Thinking of putting black mulch on top of the rocks.

• Nancy Hatcher

When I put mulch down I always sprinkle Preen first then landscape fabric then the mulch. The only problem is it will prevent ALL seeds from germinating even the ones you want to germinate. Obviously I hate to weed so I tend to throw everything I can at it ;-} !

• Mikell Paulson

Spray the weeds with vinegar, then landscape fabric. Then the mulch to hold down the weeds. Add color bowls to make your yard even more beautiful!

• Roxanne Thornton

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions BUT the day after I posted this for help in this area of the front yard a 40-50 year old momma turtle came to my yard to lay her eggs. I called professionals for help and they gave me the best idea for this area......a turtle garden. Already started to dig and weed so I can get loom and make it appealing every June for momma turtle. The momma did lay her eggs in my rock garden just outside my front door and in a couple of months we will have baby snapping turtles which we will take out to the pond in the woods where she came from to lay them. Here is a pic of her....

dead space, gardening, landscape, outdoor living, momma laying her eggs what a process to find the right spot and it was such an amazing event to watchdead space, gardening, landscape, outdoor living, protecting the eggs from racoons and other critters from the woods is the best thing I had at the moment and is working so far
  • Gail Salminen

@Roxanne Thornton lucky you :) You will have to keep us updated on the turtle progress. Not sure but I think the turtles are supposed to make their way to the water, but any wild life center should be able to guide you. Thanks for protecting them from predators! Love the idea of a turtle sanctuary too!

• Mikell Paulson

So lucky that you choose the turtle! Some people would kill the momma turtle and do the yard! I like the wildlife, and watch as we have fewer each year. I don't use poisons in the yard like Round-up as it kills the wildlife! You are a good person! Thanks from the wildlife!

• Nancy Hatcher

I love the way spontaneous solutions show up! Have fun with your turtles and a huge thumbs up for welcoming your new visitor. Sounds like this was one smart turtle momma.

• Evelyn McMullen

What a great visitor. We had 2 small turtles in our old yard, I miss seeing them where I am now. My "wildlife" seems to have disappeared, no more lizards nor little singing green tree frogs; don't know where they went nor why. I don't use any chemicals. Enjoy your turtle & the babies.

• Roxanne Thornton

Thanks everyone, and yes, this was a solution created by a higher power for me...love when that happens, ask and you shall receive the answer...POWERFUL STUFF looking forward to sharing more when they hatch and turtle garden is complete :D