Asked on Apr 17, 2016

Should I repair or recover the arms of these wicker chairs?

Michelle LeslieAnnPatty
+14

Former owners left a pair of rocking chairs on the porch. can I fix the gaps in the arms? I would love to salvage it or should I trash it? Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Janet Pizaro

I would not trash the chair. Wicker furniture is timeless. Heres a site that hopefully will explain what to do. www.wickerwoman.com/wicker-repair

• Mar3393727
    Mar3393727

Save the wicker, check with shops that do caning.

• Ranger
    Ranger

Totally agree with Janet and Mary above - save it. You could maybe make cushioned armrests to go over it, attached with elastic or velcro...

• Heather Nelson
    Heather Nelson

I have wicker chairs, some of the wicker had worn, though not in the same place as yours, I bound it with rafia, but that didnt last long, though it did look nice! so I redid it with string, and then painted the whole chair with blue paint, added some nice cushions, which I later covered, and then put some chrochet throws over the top, it looks really well and has now lasted 4 years!!

• Lynne DiCenzo
    Lynne DiCenzo

You also could hot glue batting on the arms and make a slip cover for the whole chair and a cushion also

• Milan67
      Milan67

Great idea! I already have batting. I thought someone would suggest reweaving but that's labor intensive.

• Carol
    Carol

I have a piece that the legs had gotten brittle, I bought jute rope and wrapped very Tightly and finished with tiny nails & strong craft glue. It looked so great I redid legs of an old side table.

• Donatella
    Donatella

The cost of refurbishing these chairs is far greater than their worth.

• Colleen
    Colleen

I like Carol's idea of wrapping with jute to cover...would depend on how difficult it would be to do as the weave looks tight where it's not damaged. Otherwise, if you sew, make some fitted covers with some heavy duty outdoor fabric.

• Donatella
    Donatella

The question was, "Should I salvage them or trash them?" I stated my opinion as a retired designer. So yes I do know. It's true, they may be able to be refurbished but there are few craftsmen around who could repair them properly. The parts that are not shredded may be so dried out that they will split soon after the arms are repaired. I'm offering information based on experience both as a designer and the owner of a home on the ocean and a home in Florida, both with tropical furniture. What do you think should be reported?? My knowledge??

• Carole Carlson
    Carole Carlson

I would cover (glue and clamp??) just the arms from the curve to the seat with upholsters foam padding and a suitable fabric of your choice knowing that fabric rots from the sun eventually. But at least you are saving them and able to use these beautiful chairs for a few more seasons. Another thing..........I would spray paint both of the chairs in a color of your choice then use fabric for the arms that ties in. I'd do a fun floral print.

• Patty
    Patty

There is some wicker that is worth the cost of repair. Unfortunately I don't think yours is. usually you can tell right off if it is a good piece. I think the jute rope sounds like a good fix for your wicker and then paint the whole chair any color you want. Good Luck.

• Ann
    Ann

I concur with Donatella, I don't believe it's worth repairing them. However, if you really want to reuse the chairs you might want to spray paint them green (or not) place them in the garden and plant some fast growing vines at the base of the chairs. You could then place a light-weight pot of colorful annual flowers in the seat of the chair (might not be worth the trouble). If the chairs are all natural material I would toss them in my compost pile.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi there, you should be able to repair it. Hopefully, this video will help  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ3jgiE7idM