Ellen Whitehead
Ellen Whitehead
  • Mancelona, MI

Before and After - Sprucing up My "Back" Entrance

I live on a lake and so the back of my house is really the front of my house. So, when we built our home, the back entrance (not the lakeside) was very plain. Unfortunately, it is also the entrance that everyone uses when coming to our home. We also live in the woods with lots of shade, so we opted for native wildflowers instead of a lawn. Here's what we ended up doing to spruce up the entrance.
Before Photo - Plan Entrance
Before Photo - Plan Entrance
Overhang added, railings, old-fashioned screen door, shutters and window boxes.
Love my window boxes!
Love my window boxes!
Stained glass mobile I made with scrap pieces and copper wire (hanging from old wooden door in my garden).
This door was rotting and was from my childhood home.  I rescued it, painted it plum, and am growing clematis up it.
This door was rotting and was from my childhood home. I rescued it, painted it plum, and am growing clematis up it.
Purple and Lime are my colors.
Purple and Lime are my colors.
My international rock garden (friends and family bring me rocks from all over the world).  I use pine needs for my paths.
My international rock garden (friends and family bring me rocks from all over the world). I use pine needs for my paths.

• Katie

Beautiful job! It's so inviting.

• White Oak Studio Designs

So happy to see you using native plants. I can just see lots of hosta's, foam flowers, epidimedium, bleeding hearts and more shade lovers in bloom there. Have fun with it!