Debra Peters
Debra Peters
  • Mesa, AZ
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Preparing onions for storage

Douglas HuntDebra Peters

My onions (Walla Walla Sweets) are close to being ready for harvest - the tops have fallen, anyway. Since this is my first time growing onions, I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I continue watering? When do I pull them from the ground and begin the drying process? I did read I need to dry them in the sun for a week to let them develop the papery outside.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. (BTW, I live in AZ, so not problem with a long, dry spell for drying.)

Yes, they should be dried in the sun, but then cured for a week or two out of direct sun. Here are tips from your University of Arizona extension service. (Be aware that sweet onions like Walla Wallas are not the best keepers for long-term storage.) http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/onions.html

• Debra Peters

Doug - Thank you so much for the info - AND the link to the Extension service. It is now my newest bookmark. BTW, I really enjoy reading all your responses to gardening questions - they are very informative and helpful! Thanks, again,

You are most welcome, Debra.