Magpye
Magpye
  • Yreka, CA
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Hair color stain on bathroom sink

Linda Rearick WilkinsPatricia SwinfordMagpye
+6

While coloring my hair I accidentally dripped a bunch of it on my bathroom sink and counter top and didn't find it until later. It is red, by the way. Is there any way to remove the stains at this point?
  • Shari

It would probably help to know what type of material(s) your counter top and sink are made of, and color. I'm not clear...is the counter top red, or the dye stain?

• Magpye

The hair color is red -- as in fire engine. The bathroom sink is white. As for composition, it's poured, and it's all in one piece, so I would guess cultured marble or something of that nature.

• Shari

You might try soaking a cloth in hydrogen peroxide and leaving it on the stain overnight to see if that will lighten or remove it. I have also heard glass cooktop cleaner will take some stains out of marble/cultured marble. On one forum I read, a woman said after trying everything to get purple dye out of her sink, it finally came clean with Goof Off, of all things! Here's a link for a poultice made from common household products. It supposedly draws stains out as it dries. http://www.ehow.com/how_7489215_red-stain-out-marble-countertop.html I haven't personally tried any of these methods but I hope one of them works for you. If not, perhaps someone else here on HT will have some other good suggestions.

• Organic Cleaning Services

I agree with Shari, try magic eraser as well

• Magpye

I apologize for my slow response. Computer has been iffy for weeks and finally crashed. Soaking the cloth in Peroxide and leaving it on the stain overnight made a dramatic difference. I will repeat as necessary to remove the last vestiges of hair color, and be more careful next time. Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions and help.

• Shari

Sometimes the art of stain removal is a hit or miss/trial and error proposition. So glad the hydrogen peroxide helped! Hopefully, with another soak or two, the stain will be completely gone. Sorry about your computer. Mine has started being a bit "difficult" too. I'm keeping fingers crossed it's just going through a "phase" because I don't even want to think about having to buy and set up a new one.

• Magpye

I'm with you there. Maggie

• Patricia Swinford

I have a smidge of brown dye on my radio which is grey what would take care of that the same as the dye on the sink?

• Linda Rearick Wilkins

Toothpaste, what hairdressers used long time ago to get stain out