Carol Terry
Carol Terry
  • Epworth, GA
Asked on Jun 2, 2013

Trying to figure out what bush(?) this is in my yard.

Susan 11590Carol TerrySandra Parrill
+13

Sorry the pictures are not real clear. This bush has been here at least 13 years, it was here when I bought my place. I am in the north Georgia mountains. It blooms every year and has a light scent. The bush is mainly in a shaded area.
Thanks for your help!
trying to figure out what bush this is in my yard, gardening
  • Melissa

How tall is it?

• Nanci Burroughs

It could be a flowering almond

• Carol Terry

oh I would say it is 20 feet tall or more...

• Carol Terry

thanks...I will check out the flowering almond

• Dianne H

It is very pretty, whatever it is.

• Diane B

I think it is a flowering almond. They do have a lovely fragrance.

• Sharon Schnepp Mitchell

Agree on the flowering almond. My Mom had one, they are beautiful with a heavenly fragrance! I believe it can be trimmed to become bushier....

• Carol Terry

Thanks so much to all of you for the information. I think you all are probably right on the flowering almond..although the flowers on mine are not quite as pink as the pictures I saw. Mine are more white with purple/pink on the outer edges. It is blooming now, the 1st of June, and from what I read..they bloom early spring and I am in north Georgia. This bush is at least 10-15 feet high...the sites I looked at say they do not get this big..but..I really think this is it.

• April E

I am sorry but I cannot remember for the life of me the name of this tree but it is not a flowering almond yes there are white flowering almonds however the leaf structure on the tree and the petel structure on the flower is wrong for a flowering almond the name will come to me and I will repost with said name

• Vickie Clark

My guess would be a mock orange ---

• Billie Keightley

I would agree with Vickie... the tree reminds me as being a mock orange

• Sandra Parrill

Looks more like a deutzia. I have one in my garden that is a good 10' tall, blooms in late May-early June. There are also dwarf ones that don't get so big. Mine is white but there are pink ones also.

• Carol Terry

thanks again...I have been out of town all day today so will look up your suggestions and get back on here sometime tomorrow...again thanks so much to all of you!

• Carol Terry

well, I looked up mock orange and the flowers don't match, at least the way I see them. did not look like there was any pink/purple in them either...**sigh**... also the deutzia didn't seem to match the flowers either....**double sigh**

• Carol Terry

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Susan 11590

You can take a cutting to your local cooperative extension for I'd.