How to Hide a Printer

Electronics can be eye sores in any home, but this DIY solves the problem of a big printer messing with your home decor! Instead of keeping your big ugly printer out in plain sight, you can hide it in a fashionable basket and keep it out in the open on a bookshelf.
Honestly, the hardest part of this project is finding the right basket to hold your printer (we found ours at HomeGoods).
You'll really only need a knife and some scissors to modify your basket. We cut out a slit in the front for the paper to feed in and out and cut out a large section in the back of the box so the printer doesn't ever over heat (not that we use our printer for large projects that cause it to heat up). We switched off using the knife and the scissors to make the cuts. The knife was helpful for the large cuts and the scissors helped make smaller, detailed cuts. Making these cuts only took us about 15 minutes, but beware because the wicker did make a big mess!!
Rookie Tip: Try and cut the basket outside of the garage if possible!
Once you've made your cuts, simply place the printer in the basket and it will be camouflaged with the rest of your decor! How easy is that?!
For more information be sure to check out our blog for the full step-by-step tutorial.

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
The DIY Playbook

• Largo Elston

I have a perfect basket for this idea, but want to cover my cable box. Wondering if, when I cut the slits, the edges will fray and unravel where I made the cuts. Thanks!

• FRAN

glue a strip of wood, molding, faux leather or a nice fabric "binding" for drapes or upholstery around the rough cut edges, choose something compatible with your box
  • Tiffani Jones

What do you suggest for a printer that has a paper feed on the top ?

• Angi

I am actually already doing this project in a sense, as I LOVE baskets and have been using different coordinating ones for my room already. But I had purchased some textiles for creating my own "slip cover" if you will since I have an all-in-one printer that also has the scanner on the top and a special back feed. I just want it covered when not using not only to make it look alright, but to keep dust out because I don't use it but a couple times a week for my projects. I couldn't find a basket large enough to put it in. So glad to see this project shared, though, to see and read how others are doing it. Thank you!

• DB

What about heat build up, which is not good for electronics???