Trent-Tonya Sharp
Trent-Tonya Sharp
  • Franklinton, LA
Asked on Jun 3, 2013

Repurposing This Bench Need Help on Ideals Please

NikkiCarla Harrod HamptonJudy H
+19

I want to a put something over the back part of this bench. I dont like the heart look, but what to put on it is what i am puzzled about. Any ideals would help. Rustic for sure, paint or tin what should i do ???
repurposing this bench need help on ideals please, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture
  • Mary Insana

First idea I though of was to use a piece of wood from an old pallet and cut it to go side to side to cover the hearts and then cut another one for the front to cover the scalloped edge to it matches. I did find a couple other ideas too. You could go to a Joann or Michaels craft store and buy one big piece of wood or 2 smaller pieces to cover the hearts. I attached a couple pictures of what I'm talking about.

repurposing this bench need help on ideals please, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, This piece of wood is 9 x 19 so one piece may cover both hearts when turned horizontallyrepurposing this bench need help on ideals please, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, 2 ovals would cover the heartsrepurposing this bench need help on ideals please, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, I like the look of this arrow Its 16 x 16 but it says can only be bought on line from Joann Fabric You could probably cut something simimar yourselfrepurposing this bench need help on ideals please, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, 2 pieces of this wood slice would cover both hearts too This is also something your may be able to cut yourself if you find a log and cut it yourself
  • Susan Leach

I have that same bench! It was gifted a few weeks ago complete with country blue paint and two white geese that had been stenciled on the back. The only difference is I am stuck with only one heart and mine has vertical slats in the back. I put a coat of liquid sander on, painted it red, and when I go to town this week, I'll be buying a piece of beadboard to cover up the slats with. I'm going to cover my heart with a piece of something, maybe tin with our initial since it's going out on the porch to be loaded with plants.

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

these are good ideals thanks ladies...but i am still open to more idea still have not made my mind up yet so keep them coming please

• Jany Warnica

I would probably use those multi-colored stained pallet slats and just put those right over the old back and curvy front board.

• Niki Hart

I would go to a craft store or a hardware store and purchase a large piece of wooden trim that is shaped like a fluer de lis or a wide pattern that is usually on the front of cabinets or large pieces of furniture and paint the whole thing. Another idea would be to attach a weathered shutter to the back part to cover the heart theme...or just replace the entire back panel....

• Susie Tincknell Smith

I would look for an old wood headboard at a thrift store or garage sale and use that for the back instead.

• Karyn Hughett McNicoll

you could make a swing for the yard..

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

Karyn good ideal i had not even thought of that

• Winona Spinks

Use the heart areas to display your patriotic pride...from the backside, staple a small US flag on the left side and staple your State flag on the right side. Paint & distress the bench.

• Nancy Hatcher

I would cut the back starting at the first dip on one side of the hearts, just cutting the heart area out. Drill holes along the cut area and get some heavy jute or anything strong enough to hold a back. You can weave the rope or just string it straight across. Or leave it open, sanding and finishing the edges.

• Jessica C

You could cover it with pieces of pallets for a rustic look.

• Debby Boyle

I would loss the hearts.

• Lisa R

Or place this in your garden area....cut out circles in the seat area and place potted plants in them....

• Judy

I saw one where they cut out between the hearts (made it kind of an oval with a dip in the middle to follow the contour of the top) and used punched tin in the opening. Also saw one where they covered whole back in outdoor canvas (recycled old patio cushions).

• Jamala W

Ever did mosaics? You could do the whole bench with it

• Tegma

I'd take a pc. of thin plywood (1/4") & cut it in the exact shape of the back only a 1/2" - 3/4" smaller around all 4 sides. Attach to the back with liquid nails; then you could add almost anything to the back .... a sign, whatever.... or nothing. Just stain to match if you add nothing to it.

• Tegma

When I say "attach to the back", I don't mean the back side of the bench, but the back support., letting it face you.

• James Janzen

I"d go and get some old barn wood and make sure the cut edges are on the sides and bottom so you can see where you cut them, them finish with whatever finish that you want on there, I"d leave it in old barnwood finish.

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

that looks good Becky thanks

• Judy H

Quickest: I'd paint it such that the hearts become part of a pattern or flowers with stems, leaves etc. or even a geometric. Really depends on your style and theme.

• Carla Harrod Hampton

I'd make it into a shelf and hang it on a wall. You could cover up the whole back from top to seat with a thin sheet of bead board paneling. Cut a 1x4" pine board and install it at the first arch from one side arm to the other sde arm for the 1st shelf (above the seat close to the top of the bench where each arm arches out in a half moon) Install another 1" x 10" pine board across the bottom from leg to leg for a 3rd shelf. Paint it a compatible color with your decor and hang it in the bathroom , dining room , family room, bedroom...............anywhere. .

• Nikki

I would just cover it with a straight board or if your able to remove it then replace it if not just cover it and attach the new piece to the existing board. My idea isn't as creative as some of the others but you can get a piece of wood cheap and have it cut right at Lowe's or Home depot. and that would give you a cleaner more rustic look then you could paint, stain, or distress it how you like... I see a lot of potential with that bench, I also love simple rustic pieces... :)