Naturally Repair Wood With Vinegar and Canola Oil

$22.00

Use 3/4 cup of oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar. white or apple cider vinegar, mix it in a jar, then rub it into the wood. You don't need to wipe it off; the wood just soaks it in Credit goes to .Heili's Healthy Haven
Interesting!
This is what I am going to attempt this idea on, hope it works!
Hot Mess!
Front before I began.
Ewww! Ouch!
Side, untouched, but ol running from the top...I am kinda messy :)
Front after.
TV table half done....
After...better
Half done....
All done!
Finished, and in it's new home!

• Andrea Peer

Does it HAVE to be canola oil??

• Kris Cole

@Andrea Peer I would stick to what it states. I received alot of feedback about Canola oil going rancid. It hasn't. I am not sure about other oils.

• Lavell

Canola oil is made from Rapeseed which is GMO. I would use it on my floor, but I'd never eat it. Sounds like a good way to use it up if you have some in the house.

• Barbara

Your pieces look lovely! THANK YOU for preserving the natural beauty of the wood! My daughter has really damaged a lovely drop leaf maple desk/dresser. Water stains from night time sips and dings here and there. I was certain that I'd have to sand it all down and start over but if this could help bring her back (she won't be in the same room when I'm done) do you think I'd be able to get it at least partially back with this method? I love the slant drop leaf and the storage dresser drawers are so handy for table linens etc. but I don't want to ruin her with lots of sanding and re-staining that might not match my night table and dresser. I'd like her back to as close to the original finish as possible and I don't want to paint her, I love the wood tones.

• Pattecamp

Do you paint all the piece or just the scratches?

• Beth Gantt

Would this work on a wooden front door that has completely faded from being in the sun?

• Jacquie Baldwin

Do you wipe the mixture over all of the piece of furniture? ?? Does it work right away or over night?

• A-m17245045

Does it work on hard wood floors?

• Barbara J Miner

Will only canola oil work? Thanks!
  • Annette Bovee

Does this work for the dull spots left by people's heel on a coffee tabl?
  • Pam Bennett Fisher

What type of oil?
  • Lco9587491

Does it leave your home smelling like vinegar?! 😖
    • Lynne Webb

I'd say the vinegar smell would dissipate rather quickly as it is absorbed. I could live with that for several days if it would fix my dilemma. Late hubby insisted on putting his keys on his nightstand for years. It managed to leave scratches in the finish. On my way to buy Canola oil .
    • Lco9587491

I might try it! I'd like to fix a small circle on my table next to the sofa. Seriously, two coasters on that table, how does that happen 😕😖
    • Ellie Dansereau

this works. no smell of vinegar after 10 minutes.......restored a lovely old desk
  • Barbara Stadie

Could this work on a wood floor?
    • Donna Murdock

Yes. I do take an old towel and buffit so it won't be slippery

• Linda Rue Anthony

What's the ratio of each product? How much do you use?
    • Lindy

3/4 c oil 1/3 c vinegar--missed it myself but right in the beginning of the post LOL
  • Marian Day

will this work on a table top. it has white stains on it from hot dishes.
  • Bjhorner

Dining room table has faded areas from hot plates. Will vinegar and oil work

• Adr12003830

Try mayonnaise. It works with water stains.
    • Ela26544792

Are they white stains, water stains? If they are white you can rub toothpaste in gently to clean white stains off wood.. Mayo is a great idea as the oil in it will moisturiz the wood.
  • Lindy

For some reason the varnish type top coat of my TV console is checking and peeling/flaking off. Will this work to smooth it all out? The area seems to be growing and not sure why!
    • Ela26544792

No, unfortunately it seems to be in need of a refinish. The oil is just to soak in and clean and brighten the wood.
    • Jeanne Johnson Ortego

It might help as a temporary measure. Do you think heat could be a factor in the flaking?
  • How to remove backing (from plastic tableclother on dining room table?????
  • Laura M Guzan

will this work on a dresser that was painted with a stain/poly finish? also have a wooden desk that has a few cigarette burns on it. will this cover the burns or do I need to sand and paint?
    • Jeanne Johnson Ortego

It worked on my rocker that was stained and varnished. I thought I'd have to sand and refinish, because the scratches/wear had bare wood showing through. The color matches, but there's a difference in texture that'll take sanding to correct.
      I doubt it'll cover the burns, but you could try it.
  • Ivonne Shoucair

Can you apply this mixture to wooden floors too?

• SusanB

You must be very careful on wooden floors because the smallest amount of oil left on the surface will make them very slippery and dangerous. Plus, oily residue would attract and hold onto dust and dirt. This looks like a great solution for 'aging' furniture but I'd stay clear of floors.

• JudyH

Way, way too slippery for floors!

• JoAnn

I'm using pallets to build bookshelves and I want to paint some of them. Should I paint first or after

• Lavell

It depends on whether the pallets are made of "treated" or untreated wood. Hopefully it's the latter. If they are fee of harmful chemicals, I would just paint a top quality primer base on them and follow up with color. Make sure to buy paint that is indoor or outdoor depending on the project. I would not use chemically treated wood pallets to make furniture as it could be unsafe for humans and the environment.

• JoAnn

Thanks lavell. The pallets that I'm using are not treated and the paint I have has primer in it and is indoor/outdoor. Again thank you.

• JudyH

Paint each piece separately before assembly then caulk and touch up paint after your project is completed. It's not fun, is more labor intensive, and boring to do, but the end results are worth the effort.

• B_m5568759

How to repair water rings

• Coffee grinds

• Elisabeth Robinson

How does coffee grounds work? Do you just rub it in wet?

• Rustyalso

Leave a layer of mayonnaise over the water spots for several hours ( can rub in lightly if you wish)

Remove mayonnaise with a clean soft cloth, and rings should disappear! May need several applications if spots have been there awhile...

• Mro164

Did you sand or prep before applying the oil and vinegar mixture?

• Caryn

I have deep scratches and water spots on a wood table will it work for those?

• Melissa C Graham

Will this work on a front door? Can I seal the door to protect it from the elements after repair?

• Ann Sharp

what are the ratios of vinegar to oil?

• Debbie

Would this work on Pennsylvania house furniture? Light oak.

• Njcpers

Would this help damage from a perfume spill on the top of an antique maple dresser?

• Donna Pennington

If I use this and decide later to stain and or varnish it will the oil affect it

• Tiffany

Following!

• Tish

That’s a great question! I’d like to know as well if I do this to an antique solid wood vanity I got for *free* that I was planning to sand the higher sides that have drawers and do the staining technique that ones does to get “pictures” with various colors of stain on the tops. However... if this repairs the damage I might leave it as is, or use it on the sides and “picture” the lower middle instead! But... if I change my mind and want to do ALL I don’t want a problem... 😂

• Ohiorn

Did you do the process more than once? How much did the color change? Thanks for sharing!

• Swt8262996

Hi, I have a problem you might help me with, I set a hot dish on a painted wood table and now the wood is bulging. How to fix?

• Delores

My husband put a towel on my table top to iron hemming strips to curtains problem when he took towel my table top had lost its shine and looked like Big water stain help

• Tina

Try mayonaise .. It works great on water stains.

• Pampam

Must I use canola oil, or can I use olive or coconut oil?

• Lora Taylor Hyatt

Why was your cost for this listed at $22 ?

• Toni Kilpatrick

Easy, can’t hurt my beat up wooden doors. I’ll try it. Many thanks!

• Sally Gillies

I have my late aunt and uncle's beautiful four-poster solid maple bedroom set. They bought it in 1938 so it needs some loving care. I've wanted to do something but not paint this beautiful wood. Thanks for a solution. I'm going out now to get the canola oil!