Asked on Apr 18, 2012

Does anyone know what this is. It is all over my backyard and real had to pull up. Has deep woody roots.

KimJud1253766Raye Johnston
+4

• Paul M

I don't know what it is but it is a perennial I have seen them for years, especially along the side of the road, and I have quite a few in my back yard as well. If you just want to kill it roundup should do the trick.

• Meli

@Paul M Doesn't round up contain Glyphosate? I would reccomend torching it if killing is the aim (depending on the area where Eulalia lives, of course)

• Janine

As a beekeeper, I'm for responsible torching too. Many chemicals for home use contain high concentrations of neonicotinoids which also kill pollinators - bees, butterflies, etc. Without being preachy, (it's just that I know that not everyone gardens,) without pollinators and pollination, many food source plants will not "fruit," thereby negatively impacting our food supply. For anyone interested, I've included a link from the Xerces Society showing a list of products to avoid. (Cut and paste link in your browser) www.xerces.org/wings-magazine/neonicotinoids-in-your-garden

• Raye Johnston

I think it is Sericea Lespedeza. It is sometimes used for hay or forage for farm animals. It is drought tolerant and will grow where other grasses won't.

• Jud1253766

Ju

• Jud1253766

Asparagus fern

• Kim

It looks like milkweed to me...the Monarch butterflies need it to survive