Kim T
Kim T
  • Columbus, OH
Asked on Jun 3, 2013

Hot tub turned rain barrel

Douglas Hunt

we have been using our old dead hot tub as a repurposed rain barrel the last couple years. I repainted it, put in a little recirculating pump in it with a plastic resin turtle on a pot of gravel that sprays water back in like a little fountain. We use the water for my large backyard to water flowers.
My question: would water Lillies and other aquatic plants live in rainwater like this? Or do they need specially filtered water in a mini ecosystem? I thought maybe they would dress up the hot tub a bit. We have enough rainfall generally to keep the tub at least half full at all times during the hottest part of the summer.
1 answer

There a lots of pond specialists on Hometalk, but I don't see why you couldn't. It's not like water lilies grow in specially filtered water in the wild. If you've got a pump so the water moves and doesn't get stagnant, I think you're good.