Ed M
Ed M
  • Newnan, GA
Asked on Apr 18, 2012

Need suggestions for the height of a centerpiece for a round brick patio fountain.

Diane FosterPamEd M
+19

Fountain has 6 ft diameter with sides 20 inches in height.
q need suggestions for the height of a centerpiece for a round brick patio fountain, outdoor living, patio, ponds water features
  • Ed M

Pic included with temporary/small centerpiece. Thanks.

• Pam

Higher the better. It would really pop in that brick circular.

• Ed, a lot depends on what kind of focal point do you want and the amount of water noise. Do you want a more formal high statue along the lines of what you may expect in, say, Savannah? Or would you like more of an rock island with a low statue? Are you planning on putting some fish in the fountain and water plants or just water? Now I love to collect Wyland art myself so this would be my choice but it would likely overwhelm what I see of your patio.

• Miriam I

I love the picture Kevin posted. What type of centerpiece did you have in mind?

• Sherrie S

The centerpiece would definitely look better if it were a little larger. Kevin M, I bet the price is more than most of us are willing to spend but I still love your taste. Just for the record, how much is it?

• I believe that bronze is in the $75k range last time I priced it. But there is another that is on sale for a mere $60k. The Manta Seas is on sale for only $178k. http://tinyurl.com/cdesuwp

• Sherrie S

LOL Kevin. Maybe I can find a large resin dolphin because I like the look. For the cheap 178k I should be able to get a live dolphin for my Koi pond. You made me smile. thank you.

• Sherrie, if it a resin dolphin you want, I am sure I can get you one for a mere $100k and I'll throw in a goldfish for free for the pond. :D Perhaps Ed will want one also. I'll do 2 for a mere $150k. :D

• Sherrie S

Kevin, thank you for your offer. Would you please send mail to Ed M for this offer? I'm sure he would love to share the discount with me.

• Donna W

I think it should be a couple inches lower than the sides.

• Pat S

I think height depends totally on your center piece... is it coming through the water? standing on the water? or already out of the water?

• Maureen S

fill it with large colored stones 18 inches up with the center piece being a fish with water spraying out of its mouth.

• Ed M

Is there a formula for the height (whatever it is) to the size of the pond?

• Sherrie S

Ed M, what I would do it find some object and put it in the fountain. If it looks too small then find something higher or wider. With nothing else in the fountain it should be a focal point so your object seems too small to me. Once you know the right size you should be able to get help here finding something great. Hometalkers are great.

• I would go at least 4 feet high and 2 to 2.5 feet in diameter. Visual scale & balance is what you are seeking. Proper proportion with the size of the pond itself. It is a good idea to sample the size as you did in the photo so that you can be certain. Perhaps stack some kitchen trash cans to get the scale before making a purchase.

• Pam

The brick looks like New Orleans courtyards. I would put a 3 or 4 tiered fountain in the center.

• I would be going about 2.5 to 3 times the depth....you can get some nice composition pieces at most garden centers now....or hit garage sales

• Ed M

You have a keen eye. This is actually a relative's patio area in Baton Rouge!!

• Pam

Thanks Ed, I'm from Baton Rouge area. Moved here from Port Allen.

• Ed M

Thanks for all for the suggestions/comments.

• Pam

Ed, lot us know what you decide and post photos, please. I'd love to see the completed project.

• Diane Foster

what are you going to put in it? How about some koi!