Melody
Melody
  • Elgin, IL

Pottery Barn Inspired Desk Using Goodwill Filing Cabinets

I found two ugly orangey colored oak filing cabinets at my local Goodwill. I brought them home still not sure what I was going to do with them until I remembered a desk from Pottery Barn that I loved. I painted the filing cabinets in Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Old White. The hardware I removed and sprayed with oil rubbed bronze spray paint by Rustoleum. The top I found at Lowes and was an unfinished panel. I had it cut down a few inches so it would fit perfectly in it's new home. The top I stained in dark walnut and kona stains. Then I decided to go for an industrial look and add a number. I printed the two from MS Word and traced it out with pencil and filled it in with Sharpie. The whole top was coated in Annie Sloan soft dark wax.
Desk in it's new home in my office.  I decided to hang my side of the road find mattress spring above it to use as a bulletin board.
Desk in it's new home in my office. I decided to hang my side of the road find mattress spring above it to use as a bulletin board.
The two was traced on using a 2 printed from MS Word.  I used a pencil and pushed hard as I traced a long the paper, which left a small indent.  I then filled it in with sharpie and then lightly distressed.
The two was traced on using a 2 printed from MS Word. I used a pencil and pushed hard as I traced a long the paper, which left a small indent. I then filled it in with sharpie and then lightly distressed.
Goodwill filing cabinets turned desk painted in Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan in Old White
pottery barn inspired desk using goodwill filing cabinets, chalk paint, home decor, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
Melody

• Cheri

I'm wondering, too... what kind of panel did you use? It's beautiful!!

• 62q10370829

You can get them at Home Depot, they look like butcher block. They are by the trim. They make them in different lengths. Theyake great table tops & desk tops.

• Debbie Rago

I love this idea, how did you attach the top piece?

• Melody

Debbie I never attached the top. I put small rubber circles on the bottom of the wood panel so it stays put. I didn't want to attach the top in case I decided to use the filing cabinets on their own without the desk top. It worked great for us and it's now a desk in someone else's home.

• Debbie Rago

Ahhh, thank you that makes sense!

• Sarah Rector Wiesehan

What type of rubber mats did you use? Where did you purchase them? We are in the process of building a desk very similar to this and are trying to avoid screwing the top piece to the cabinets.

• Brittney Nichole Hammock

what size file cabinets did you use? how tall?

• Melody

Hi Brittney, I used a standard size 3 drawer filing cabinet. I don’t have the desk any longer, so I can’t give you and exact size. They were bought separately and were both the same standard size

• Jeanne Cox Dodge

Standard desk height is 28-30 so, probably 26" for the file cabinets.

• Debra Bergert

i had to use those 3-drawer bins you buy like at walmart, you know they have wheels until everyone eventually takes them off, but that was the only 2 things that matched in my apt. I have them facing out so that i can get my craft stuff from one, the other end has socks, tank tops and sleep shirts ...serving the purpose now. holding up the top veneer part of my dresser. i love seeing everyone creativity , this site is too cool right?
  • Wanda Craig

Very nice!