Coat Hanging Made Beautiful AND Fun, Thanks to a Few Old Boards!

Our entry is on the bottom floor of our house, with the main living upstairs.
Trouble was, whenever we'd walk in the door toting in bags of groceries and such, it was too much work to set the bags down, then remove our coats.
So, we'd thump all the way up the stairs with bags in hand, plop the bags on the counter, then throw coats across the sofa.
My cats LOVED the extra padding for afternoon snoozes! But I did not. Sorry guys.
We needed a fix for those tossed salad kinda coats... and thanks to a few old boards and some cool stencils, this certainly did the trick...
A sofa coat salad vs some cool wall art that hangs stuff... no contest, is there?
I ADORE looking down my hallway now! And at the sofa... now that I can see the thing...
This hallway resides close to the sofa. But with no where to hang coats, my eye went to the wall on the right. Blank space, I have a special job for you.
The walls were painted white, and the trim was removed and replaced with farmhouse style.
These old fence boards were about to get a whole lot prettier!
They were made into old signs in just a few minutes with Old Sign Stencils.
How I stencilled these boards is HERE
Stencil info is below this post.
Once the boards wore some cool sayings, they were screwed directly into the wall, with random hooks added.
Staggering the board placement was key. I just started with one board, then bounced the other ones around it, adding some smaller cuts here and there.
Adding a few freshly cut flowers from a hung up mason jar sealed the deal!
Now it's FUN to hang up stuff!
This would be equally cool in a bathroom or by the pool outdoors for towels!
I'm debating on making a wall in my son's room too! Let's hope his clothes find it... :)
Where would this work for you?
These stencils are part of my own line of Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils.
You can find them HERE

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Txc5097576

I need to get shoes off the floor. What would you suggest? Thank you Ora

• Hey Ora, I haven't cooked up a solution for them yet. As you can see, mine are still on the floor. hahah

• Nadine

Donna - You could use old fence boards and create a long rectangular box for the shoes. Ora - It really depends on how much space you have by your main entry point and whether or not you have a closet. I don't have a closet nor a lot of space from my back entry which is where we come in from the garage. I use a large metal planter for our shoes.

• Kat

I put wooden shoe shelves by the front door. Not enough space even for a hanging unit, or a closet. Living room starts on right as you enter the short hall/foyer area. Bathroom on left. I have 2 shelves stacked vertically, another set of 2 next to it. Can hold 8-10 pair. Planning on covering the top area with a nice wooden board to provide a landing place for groceries, purse, computer holder, car keys and the like.

• Debbie.wozniak

how did you attach the old carpenter tool??