Jeanne Brandt
Jeanne Brandt
  • Ponca, NE
Asked on Jun 3, 2013

Help With Identifying Plant, Please :)

Jeanne BrandtBonnieLynn
+13

I bought this plant yesterday with plans to put it in a shady area of my garden. At least I *think* this plant was tagged for "shade". In my quest to get the best looking of that type available, I accidentally grabbed one without a plant identification tag! As you can see, it has a flower spike coming out of the center of the plant. Hopefully when it's planted & established, these spikes will be more upright? Thanks in advance.
q help with identifying plant please, flowers, gardening
  • Jeanne Brandt

Hmmm, have I stumped everyone? Next time I'm back at the nursery, hopefully they'll still have some of the same plant.

It looks kind of like a verbascum to me, but I don't think of those as being shade plants.

• Jeanne Brandt

Thanks for the guess, Douglas. They had these right next to astilbe, and I thought I read "shade" on the tag, but I sure could be mistaken. I'm going to be stopping by the store where I purchased them in the next few days (we live 30 miles from "the city"), so hopefully I can snap a picture on my cell phone of the actual plant tag. If it's not shade tolerant, then I guess I'll be digging a hole somewhere else! Thanks again. :)

• Paul M

It definitely is not an astilbe...but I cannot tell you what it is...

• Elaine Simmons

I did a little searching and I came up with this but don't know if it is right. It also looks like it could be a ginger plant. gohawaii.about.com

• Sharon Romine

Looks kind of like a primrose to me.. they come in all kinds of flowers and the leaves look similar. Just guessing..

• Tina Hohman

I'm with Sharon! It looks very much like a Orchid Primrose (primual vialii 'miracle'). The can do part shade, prefering only morning sun. It will get a tall flower spike and usually blooms in the late spring. I don't think it is a verbascum because the leaves don't look "fuzzy" to me. I guess it will be a great surprise when it flowers! ;o)

• Donna Shipley

It looks like a primrose I have in my garden. http://www.mygardenlife.com/plant-library/1111/primula/vialii ... Mine was called a Poker Primrose. This one looks like it needs more water.

• Sharon Clyatt

I think Donna is correct by checking out her library :-)

• Sarah Batzloff

I agree that it appears to be some sort of primrose

• Judy

Verbascum is a type of Mullein & has fuzzy leaves, different growth pattern too. Pretty sure it's not Astilbe either & absolutely not a Ginger.....not common primrose for sure. I'm going to go with Orchid Primrose....leaf is right, flower spike looks the same & it likes shade too......

• Mikell Paulson

It is a Primrose and yes needs more water and maybe a larger pot!

• Lynn

Yep! Primrose. I think. Ha

• Bonnie

Most definitely a Primrose, the flower looks like a "Poker" .... moist shade loving, and a good thing about it since you live "out" of the city is they are deer and rabit resistant. (They'll leave it alone unless there is nothing else to eat...)

• Jeanne Brandt

Thanks so much for all the replies! I thought for sure I read "shade" on the tag, and that's the type of plant I was looking for, so your confirmations make me feel better. It definitely needs to be planted ASAP, so I'm glad to have the mystery plant ID'd!

• Jeanne Brandt

After looking at the photo in your link, Donna, and then googling the name further, I'm positive you identified my plant correctly. Thank you again. Now to find the right spot in the shade. :)