Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Apr 19, 2012

Turkey Tom

GradySherrie SDouglas Hunt
+29

Last week I saw a possum in my yard. Today it is Turkey. He's got 4 gal pals who also visit here. To all hunters: NO, he will not be dinner. The birds & animals visit most of my neighbors although we are part of a HOA. There are no HOA restrictions on wildlife.
q turkey tom, pets animals
q turkey tom, pets animals
q turkey tom, pets animals
  • Cooper S

Beautiful bird, although there are no restrictions per HOA, is it legal to hunt in a residential area? can you pertition for restrictions? It would be a shame to lose such natural beauty. I love it.

• Sherrie S

Oh, I said that wrong. I meant the HOA didn't write up rules about the wildlife like they do for the homes/yards. No way is anyone allowed to hunt in our HOA or even the surrounding HOA's. In our city you can't even shoot a gun at NOTHING without getting in trouble. We all love watching them and feel lucky to have the wildlife.

• Cooper S

Great. good looking out.

• Bernice H

This is so super wonderful!!!!! Thanks for posting. How many of us get to see something this unusual? It looks like he has a necktie on, I have never seen a wild turkey, he is beautiful. Will have to look them up, and learn about that necktie!

• Sherrie S

Bernice, the necktie tells everyone he is the male. I have been unable to take a picture of one of the females who stands on the edge of a small birdbath like she is a little bird. Fortunately it is very heavy concrete.

• Lulu Dubin

WOW that almost doesn't look real. I cannot believe these shots!

• Sherrie S

Lulu D, it is real and the picture was taken with an old camera I own. Turkey is not afraid to show off for the turkey girls. Nothing fancy at all.

• Miriam I

Turkey Tom is so cool. I wish I had such nice visitors. I saw a mama duck and her babies while driving to work this morning. It made me so happy.

• Sherrie S

Oh Miriam I also had mama ducks and babies last year and many other critters. This is a great place for wildlife & me, too.

• Miriam I

Speaking of wildlife, I just sent you a post you will love :)

• Sherrie S

Miriam, you are so right.

• Paul M

Beautiful bird for sure. BTW there are plenty of ways to hunt that do not require a gun. If you are ever in the need to have to provide your own food you may want to consider that.

• Great photos. Be sure that one of your neighbors is not Elmer Fudd.

• Teresa D

Wow Sherrie. This is so cool! It is so perfect it doesn't look real. It's like ugly and beautiful at the same time. I can't stop looking at it. Thanks for sharing! P.S. It's much nicer to look at than the opossum! :-)

• Sherrie S

Teresa D, ugly & beautiful is the nicest thing you have posted about my wildlife - thank you for the 1/2 compliment. I ignored ugly. Paul M, I'd be more inclined to try planting my food. Kevin, No Elmer Fudd allowed.

• Susan

Great pics! I can only guess Serenity's elementary school needs to check their internet access settings.

• Pat S

great pictures!!

• Susan S

This is one majestic Tom - and obviously he's well aware of it too!! I'll bet he gets the hens all aflutter!! @Paul M. - does the word "Prepper" have any significance here??

• Sherrie S

Thank you Susan S. I looked up "prepper" and now understand. Maybe we'll learn more.

• Beth at Unskinny Boppy

Oh WOW! He's like the epitome of a turkey. I can see now why Ben Franklin thought they should be our national bird. What a beautiful creature!!

• Paul M

No prepper means nothing to me but realist does. Does the history of the world have any significance for folks any more? Denial comes to mind too. Now be careful what you open up or you may get more than you bargain for.

• Kitty W

Great photo and makes me sympathetic to why Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national bird.

Great photo, Sherry.

• Sherrie S

Well, I guess Tom Turkey has a friend as I counted 8 baby turkeys today. The mama turkey is named Hoppy because she has one bad leg and had to hop on one foot and drag the other one. She must have gone to rehab because she is almost walking without hopping. I'll try to post a baby picture soon.

• Susan S

awwww! Can't wait to see 'em!! WHAT are baby turkeys called anyway - I'm sure there are probably a couple of Tiny Toms but don't think that'll fly as an official name. Geese. . .or is it Ducks ? have goslings so. . . . . .

• Sherrie S

Susan, I got it - turklings. Mama & 2 of eight or more baby turkeys. Haven't counted all yet. The birdbath on the ground is only 5" deep on the outside measurement.

q turkey tom, pets animals, A drink after breakfastq turkey tom, pets animals, 3 baby turkeys
  • Susan S

Yeah - that'll work for me!! LOL Thanks Sherrie for continuing to share your WILD LIFE with us!! These little guys are adorable!!

• Bernice H

Thank you so much sherrie, I have never seen baby turkeys This is so cool, sharing with my grandkids!

• Pat S

This is so sweet!

What a treat, Sherrie!

• Sherrie S

The male turkeys have been prancing around and also saw their reflection in a glass door and then two windows. Big male hit the door with his beak several times then he went to a window a hit the window and cracked the outside pane of a duel pane window a few weeks ago. Today he went to another window & made big holes in the screen but didn't get to the window because I yelled at him. Has anyone else seen this aggressive male behavior? I've never seen this behavior & I've been here over 20 years.

• Grady

Do you not want him in your yard?