Carol
Carol
  • Vidalia, GA
Asked on Jun 3, 2013

How to get color out of white shirt

ShariCarolKimberly Barney
+1

I washed a white cotton shirt with something black in the washer. How can I get the black out?
  • Kimberly Barney

If you put it through the dryer without noticing, probably nothing as it is set. If not, I would put it through a hot cycle with bleach.

• Shari

Find a Rit Dye display and look for the Color Remover, which is made to take color out of white fabrics that have accidentally been washed with colors. Walmart carries Rit Dye, Target or Joann Fabrics might, and I know I have seen it in several (Publix) grocery stores. It might take a couple washings in the Color Remover to completely get it all out but it is more gentle on your fabric than repeatedly washing with the shirt with bleach.

• Carol

Thanks, I forgot I had some of the Rit Dye Color Remover - it worked! Thanks for the help.

• Shari

Yay! So glad it worked for you. We all have those "oops" laundry moments sooner or later (and sometimes repeatedly!) so I should follow my own advice and pick up some Color Remover to keep on hand. :)