Gloria S
Gloria S
  • Adairsville, GA
Asked on Jun 4, 2013

Can someone tell me what kind of plant this is?

Gardens By Design, LLCLori JBeverleynilles
+6

Went to garden center a few yrs ago looking for a plant [so long ago, I don't even remember what I was looking for] but I told the man what I wanted & he came back with this & said that was what it was. It's not what I was wanting, but it's pretty! it has little white bell shaped blooms & blooms one time a yr & the the stems get about 3-4ft. tall{ I have to stake it or it falls over. thought maybe someone on "Hometalk" could tell me what it is. Thanks
can someone tell me what kind of plant this is, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

You have a penstemon blooming beautifully, Gloria.

• Gloria S

Thank u Barb...had no idea what it was[have another pot just like it] but it is pretty. Now I know! Thanks again

I think penstemon are underused. They're a great plant for bridging the seasons between spring and summer.

• June

I'd say you have a penstemon

• Diana Apke

yes, it's a penstemon. In the snap dragon family and also known as Beardtongue!

• Debby Boyle

I have had one for years, and can never remember the name of it. I call it the chocolate plant because of the stems. If you look on line you can find the name.

• Beverleynilles

I have a red stem dog wood that looks like that one but it has not bloomed so don't know what the blooms look like

• Lori J

I have a red stem dogwood and the blooms are smaller white cluster. Also it is a far more branching plant than this one is. I love dogwoods.

• Gardens By Design, LLC

This is definitely a Penstemon digitalis. Probably the variety is 'Husker red'.