Asked on Jun 4, 2013

Can someone tell me what kind of plant this is?

Gardens By Design, LLCLori JBeverleynilles
+6

Went to garden center a few yrs ago looking for a plant [so long ago, I don't even remember what I was looking for] but I told the man what I wanted & he came back with this & said that was what it was. It's not what I was wanting, but it's pretty! it has little white bell shaped blooms & blooms one time a yr & the the stems get about 3-4ft. tall{ I have to stake it or it falls over. thought maybe someone on "Hometalk" could tell me what it is. Thanks
  • Barb Rosen

You have a penstemon blooming beautifully, Gloria.

• Gloria S

Thank u Barb...had no idea what it was[have another pot just like it] but it is pretty. Now I know! Thanks again

I think penstemon are underused. They're a great plant for bridging the seasons between spring and summer.

• June

I'd say you have a penstemon

• Diana Apke

yes, it's a penstemon. In the snap dragon family and also known as Beardtongue!

• Debby Boyle

I have had one for years, and can never remember the name of it. I call it the chocolate plant because of the stems. If you look on line you can find the name.

• Beverleynilles

I have a red stem dog wood that looks like that one but it has not bloomed so don't know what the blooms look like

• Lori J

I have a red stem dogwood and the blooms are smaller white cluster. Also it is a far more branching plant than this one is. I love dogwoods.

• Gardens By Design, LLC

This is definitely a Penstemon digitalis. Probably the variety is 'Husker red'.