A Quicker and Easier Way to Stepping Stones

$25.00

I recently read somewhere about a quick way to make stepping stones and decided to try it. The more I thought about what I read, I realized I could do it even 'quicker and easier'. So I did.
Use something as a guide to measure equal distance between stones. Here I used a trowel.
Take a shovel, or your trowel, and sculpt out the shape of your stone.
Remove the sod and extra dirt.
Remove the sod and extra dirt.
Pat down dirt, you may want to stomp on it a little!
Mix the concrete and water in a bucket using a shovel to stir.
Pour cement into hole, smooth the top and let dry.
Finished stones take about 3 hours to dry; overnight before walking on them.
Cyndi @ The Decorating Chica

• Shannon Lasovich

Good morning, love your pictures and instructions. I already have some slate rock stones down. Have some rectangle cement ones that were under the above ground pool.want to use them the same sort of way. I was wondering, what kind of foliage do people use between instead of grass? Some smell lovely and are pretty foot resistient.....any ideas would be so appreciated. Thanks alot, shanjon
    • There are some ideas:
      Creeping thyme. ... Elfin thyme on the right is flat as a pancake, compared with mother-of-thyme on the left. ...
      Dymondia, flanked by gold coin and Silver Dragon grass. ...
      Pink cranesbill.
      ... Dichondra. ... Blue star creeper. ...
      Irish moss. ... A dymondia patio.

• Mary

Great idea - gave me an idea too - line the space with plastic, lay pretty stone's etc. Then pour cement. When dry just flip em over & wash off. Worth a try!
  • Wade Burtch

I love this idea. DIY sites often discourage me because they make it seem so hard. This idea worked great - I dug out the sod, glommed some concrete in and it works and looks great. So thanks for the idea, minus the tedious, intimidating over-engineering that is so often part of these things!