MacGIRLver
MacGIRLver
  • Canada

I Turned an Antique Desk Into an Island, I Think You Will Be Surprised

I love quarter sawn oak, it is my favourite wood grain. My sister gave me a big old desk that was in the basement of her flower shop. I had to take it apart in order to get it out of there. I found that the panels could be removed fairly easily.
i turned an antique desk into an island i think you will be surprised, kitchen design, kitchen island, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
I needed a kitchen island, but didn't want a run of the mill, cookie cutter island, that just isn't my style.
The desk was very much like the one pictured above (I got this picture off the internet here http://www.dougschmittantiques.com/desk%20&%20office%20furniture/65flattopdesk/65flatopdesk.htm), but the top on it was ruined. The sides had gorgeous quarter sawn oak. Once I took all the panels off the sides of the desk I planned out my island so as to take the best advantage of all the panels.
I tried to lay them out in a balanced manner. At the last minute I decided the drawers were too good to waste, so I added another layer in order to use them. I didn't have oak for the front ends, so I painted spruce. I'm kind of tired of the design I painted, but it will have to stay as is for now.
I also took an antique door that was given to me, stripped the paint off of it, and used it as the top of the island. It does double duty as a display for some of the things I have gathered over the years.
The main reason for building the island was that I needed it to house a dishwasher.
I built a low counter top for my baking area and painted mosaic tiles on it in a design that means a lot to my family. The star and wings is a symbol that my Grandfather used for his business in the 1930's, so there is a little family history integrated into the piece.
I only had enough panels for 3 sides, so the back side is completely different, to me, it still works. I built very large drawers. The three panels at the far end are fake drawers, I have yet to add the drawer pulls to match the real drawers. See the panel at the back, painted like mosaic tile? I took that piece to work and painted it at my desk on my coffee breaks, 15 minutes at a time.
I built the the island in sections and then brought them into the kitchen and secured them all together. Unfortunately I did this before my blogging days, so I didn't take pictures along the way. (Also, I wasn't really sure I was going to be able to pull this off) So, what do you think of my island? I was lucky enough to be given pretty much the exact same desk last week, wow, how lucky can a person be! The top on this desk is in excellent shape, oh the possibilities! Apparently I am very lucky, because another friend said she has a desk for me, and it sounds like it might be another one of these!
MacGIRLver

• Autumn Hall Zink

I must first say WOW!!! How difficult was it to remove the paneling to see what's underneath? I am totally amazed!!! Just gorgeous!!!

• MacGIRLver

Thanks Autumn, the panels are screwed and nailed to a framework. Not too hard to get apart. Once I had all the panels off I designed the island to make the best use of them.

• Kelley Hughes

I am just in awe at what the finished piece looks like. It is so unique... using the door to display your collectable, integrating your grandfathers emblem into the piece, dismantling the desk then rearranging it to fit your needs, the painting and patterns... it really is just breathtaking. With you living such a good life with being given more desks like this, if you would like to make one for me, I'd gladly accept lol. Congratulations on a job well done!
  • B. Welch

Love, love, love how you did this... I'm still in awe of your work. I'd love to know how you painted the tiles on the bake top side. Please, please if you re-do the other two desks show us how you did this ingenious job and pulled it all together. I still can't figure out how you did all the art work on the pieces + worked with the drawers....just amazing.

• Shawna Bailey

I'd love to see a step by step also. great project!

• MacGIRLver

Thank you ladies, I did this before I was a blogger and didn't even think about step by step tutorials. If I do another I will remember to post pics.