Ann
Ann
  • Medford, OR

A Living Roof for Our Garden Shed Made From Wedding Doors

We upcycled three doors into a wedding backdrop for our grand daughter. THEN we used the doors to make this little garden shed.
a living roof for our garden shed made from wedding doors, gardening, outdoor living, roofing
Today I finally got the roof I wanted on my shed-a green roof of living plants!
We used cedar fence boards for the eaves then lined the roof planting area with waterproof pond liner stapled up and over the edges of the boards. We added two layers of dormant grass sod (free from our neighbor) plus potting soil in the planting wells.
I grew shallow rooted plants that are not too thirsty...like creeping jenny, assorted sedums, miniature vinca and some decorative grasses.
Now we'll finish all the trim work and paint the shed a soft white. I'm adding handfuls of wildflower seed to the top and also some pretty summer annuals like blue lobelia and white and purple alyssum.
I like it alot! It's looking almost exactly like I imagined it would! And here it is with a fresh coat of white primer. I have some rusty vintage wrought iron and other fun trim to dress it up....next.
Click over to my blog for more info on this project.

• 4 recycled doors  (Restore)
  • Framing lumber,cedar fence boards, paint  (on hand from other projects)
  • Waterproof pond liner  (local nursery)
Ann

• Mum1712129

Now this brought a smile to my face. Just inspiring! Good use of available space. Was it too heavy a load for the roof? Thanks for sharing.

• Ann

A green roof IS heavy so we did alot of research before tackling it and made sure we got the right components. I gave alot of info in my answer to the first question listed above. To start with the doors are all solid core exterior wood doors so the shed walls are sturdy and strong.

• Margie

Looks great! Such a cute little addition for gardening tools! How is it attached to the ground? I would be worried about it being top-heavy and blowing over with some of the winds that we can get here.

• Ann

It is set up on cement blocks with a plywood floor and plywood walls inside. The floor is also lined with paving blocks so it has enough weight to counteract the roof. We are putting metal braces to the fence on two sides. In hindsight, we could have poured a small cement slab and a simple foundation for it. Thanks for your question!

• I LOVE this, and want to do this on my new little shed..but a friend who has built sheds keeps telling me that it will weigh down the roof and get it and the shed wet...How do you fix the pond liner so that water can drain, but not into the shed... I am not very good at this, so probably missing something in your post. Wendy

• Hi Ann, Thank you for your very detailed reply..I may have to have the shed re-inforced to have it strong enough to support a living roof..but it is worth the effort..looks so lovely..many thanks..W