Asked on Apr 21, 2016

Help! Water fountain is beautiful to look at but sounds awful...

Denise ObenauerCarlyCheryl
+25

My water fountain is beautiful to look at, but sounds awful. It sounds like someone is peeing or a stormwater drain dripping. Yes, I'm serious.
The sound is most unpleasant, both tone and volume. The pump is quiet but the sound of the running water is both loud and constant.
The fountain is vase shaped with two slits in the front for the water to run down the side and find it's way inside of the vase shaped container where it hits the water inside.
I have tried putting stones both inside and on top where the water initially comes out. I have also tried changing the amount of water inside the fountain, where the water lands. No luck.
Any ideas?
Water Fountain - looks beautiful - sounds awful

Do you have the manufactures name?

• Diane

Not sure if this would work but placing something in the bottom of the vase to muffle the sound could help. Off the top of my head, maybe a sponge? Something that can take running water? Good Luck!

• Possumsu

Sometimes the volume of the water coming down needs to be reduced to make a ppleasant sound, sometimes it's the speed of which the water drops over, so like a kitchen faucet that will splash all over or gently run, either reduce the amount of water going inside the vase by partially closing the faucet, or put a larger hose in for less water pressure, just slow the water down.

• Goldrushgal

There is usually an adjustable knob on the pump where you can change the flow of the water. Either faster or slower. Also you could try adding pea gravel to the basin around the base of fountain so the water does not hit a solid surface but trickles through the gravel.

• Carol

I think I would get a different pump. You may have one that is too small for the lift.

• Denise

Add stones to change the sound.

• @DeniseThis is what she wrote. Did you miss it???? " I have tried putting stones both inside and on top where the water initially comes out. I have also tried changing the amount of water inside the fountain, where the water lands. No luck."

• G

I put an outdoor fountain indoors... really loud, so I attached some artificial vines to where the water flows... most of the water flows down the vine into the bottom, reducing the noise

Goldrushgal has the right idea! You need to reduce the flow of water, add pea gravel or river rock to the basin. Also try tilting the vase slightly so the water flows down the two slits.

• Barbara

I know the sound.y girlfriend bought one like it Try filling it with styrofoam peanuts to reduce the tinkering sound.

• Sharonhull

You can buy an inexpensive little plastic clip that fits onto the supply tubing that will reduce the amount of flow by constricting the tube. It is adjustable so perhaps you can find a setting that give you a more restful sound. Any good garden center that sells the pumps should also sell the clip.

• Nancy T

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I am going to try and fill it with styrofoam peanuts as Barbara suggested and see if that helps reduce the tinkling sound.

• Denise

@Beth sorry I must have missed that part. Must be the chemo fog in my brain.

• Ann

We have one and put a bubbler on the top

• Susan Savage

I rearrange small rocks inside and out until I get a sound I like.

• Barbara

I did the same as Susan, arranged small river rock until I got the tone and volume of water,also our pump had a water flow adjustment that needed tweeking.

• Dorothy

I had the same problem with a fountain I made myself. My solution was to go to the Dollar Tree and buy 12 Hawaiian Lei's for $2 and put them inside the fountain. They float to the top and now my fountain sounds like a bubbling brook
  • Elaine

I had the same problem. Sounded like the toilet was constantly running. I cut up a pool noodle and now it sounds great. You can change the sound with more or less pieces floating on top Of the water.

• Alexis Shaw

Very helpful info. Thank you so much. I put some foam pipe insulation and now it makes a soothing sound.

• Cheryl

Hi, I had identical problem and have solution. Please contact me to discuss privatecheryl77. (Gmail). Thanks.

• Carly

I just bought this same fountain from Green Acres and same sound issue (sounds like peeing). I’m glad I found this thread.. I’m going to try cut up pool noodles.

• Denise Obenauer

Also think of the fountain base as a big (non-) musical instrument. It resounds,it echos inside. The smoother the hard surface inside, the more it resounds. Break up the sound waves with as many pieces of long pool noodles in there as possible.