From Dated Desk to French Secretary

Find out how I took a dated desk, added a book shelf, and got this!
This was my husband's great aunt Thelma's desk. My MIL gave it to us when Aunt Thelma passed away. I've had it about 25 years and have enjoyed the history and the functionality but I always wanted a secretary. So over the years, I would watch for a small hutch that would sit on top and never found one.
One day, it suddenly occurred to me that one of the shelves I had might fit. And it did! This is just an inexpensive press-wood shelf like you can find at Big Lots.
My husband added crown moulding to the top of the shelf and I primed it with Kilz 1-2-3, which sticks to anything. I also primed and painted the desk.
And then I put the shelf on top of the desk. The shelf is a little deeper than the desk but because it's up against the wall and fits perfectly in this little corner, you can't tell.
Since this first makeover, I've painted the whole thing a more French Country greige. Using two colors of chalk paint that I mixed myself, I gave it a softly, uneven finish. I then lightly sanded it and gave it a light coat of chalk wax. The next day, I buffed it for a durable finish.
It's a perfect fit in our living room.
This picture was taken when we got new windows and my French shutters were not there. But it's a better view of the desk.
To see more pictures, please visit my blog http://gatesofcrystal.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-new-secretary.html
love and blessings~
Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Lynda @ Gates Of Crystal

• Carol Brown Hargrave

Did you attach the bookcase in any manner or is it simply sitting on the desk? It's beautiful!

• Diane

No, the pieces are not attached to one another, just resting on top.

• Diane

It is lovely!!...How did you secure the shelf to it's base? Seems it could present a possible tipping danger if not safely attached.

• Diane

How did you secure the top piece to it's base for safety??

• Sue103059

Absolutely STUNNING & so incredibly clever!!! LOVE it and your living room decor too!

• Christine

Amazing transformation. I have a secretary that belonged to my husbands mom. If none of his siblings want it, I would like to transform it to something similar to yours. This will be a first for me and would love some step by step help. I will of course start with sanding it down and see what I get. Thanks!!