Make a DIY Blanket Ladder in a Weekend

$0

Do you have any scrap wood laying around and a few hours to kill? We were able to make this adorable Blanket Ladder using leftover wood for free. Here's how we did it.
make a diy blanket ladder in a weekend, diy, living room ideas, woodworking projects
In our garage, we had a pile of wood that we had saved from some repairs we made to our deck last summer.
Honestly, the stack of wood was in the way and was starting to annoy me, so I came up with a simple idea to use the wood and free up the safety hazard in my garage.
First we chose the pieces we were going to use and made fresh cuts to the ends. The most important thing we did was lightly sand the pieces and wash them thoroughly since it was old pressure treated lumber.
My pieces weren't the same color after the sand/wash step, so I used a little Valspar antiquing glaze to add uniformity to the pieces. Then we eyeballed where the braces would go and assembled it.
We made angle cuts to the legs to allow for an easier 'lean' on the wall. I also added felt pads to the feet and also to the top where it leaned against the wall.
It looks nice and aged and is a perfect fit for an empty corner.
That's it! Seriously - it was the easiest DIY project we've ever done!

• Scrap Deck Wood  (Left over from deck repairs)
  • Valsera Antiquing Glaze  (Lowe's)
Noting Grace

• Wanday

Hi, I definitely gonna do this!!! One question-Is that an antique yard stick in the corner????

• Wanday

Thank you, Grace. Thank you EVERYONE! I have GOT to find me one also.

• Denise

What did you use to wash the wood? I have been wanting one of these for a long time but did not want to pay the price, they are so expensive! Yours is more beautiful!

• Noting Grace

Thanks Denise! I used a stiff brush and a mix of dish soap and warm water. It was super quick and easy, but could've gone quicker if we had a pressure washer! Lol

• Susan burnstad

can u tell me what height the ladder is?

• Noting Grace

Nice Catch Shawna! Yes, we made ours right around 5 feet, but using scrap wood, you can custom it to whatever you wish!

• Takara

Wow. That project could not have turned out more perfectly. I would spend some money on that ladder! I have to find some wood so I can make one. Maybe I would lean it beside my window so I could wrap it with solar string lights. I'm hanging them everywhere at this point.

• Takara

:D Thanks! I'll let you know if I get to try it