Anna Ibarra
Anna Ibarra
  • San Antonio, TX

Light Fixture/ Broken Fan to a Planter ( Edited) 4/24/16

$20

I had a pretty ornate fan,bought at Ross many years ago. It broke and didn't want to throw it out. I also didn't need a fan anymore, bought when our AC went out and in middle of August in SC. Also, bought a light fixture at a garage sale for $5, had plans to had it switch out for an existing light fixture. A thought just came to me.

NOT THE FAN I USED FOR PROJECT.
NOT THE FAN I USED FOR PROJECT.

Didn't want to get it fixed, I tried messing with it. This fan base broke and was broken when I bought it at Ross, on clearance Kept tilting, but was desperate as our A/C broke, then years later wouldn't' work. Then base broke and couldn't used for project.

THE BASE I USED IS THE LAST PIC POSTED. JUST FOR CLARIFICATION.

The stand to my fan.
The stand to my fan.
$5 fixture from a garage sale.
$5 fixture from a garage sale.
light fixture broken fan to a planter, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling

Decided I didn't like the fixture for my home as a light fixture anymore, what to do.

I married the two...

Painted the stand, cause I love white and decided it would be a planter on the fan stand. ;-)

End result. I had started to begin my fixation with succulents and thought this was a neat planter.

I made this 3 years ago and it has filled up, it has a hole from the light fixture so has drainage.

It now has filled in. This is from 3 years ago. It now has filled completely, I don't have an updated photo, as I'm doing this while it is raining today. My correction- I had two of these fans. I tried the the 1st pic fan but it broke, that's when I tried the other one. Like I said I did this about 3 years ago.

The original fan I used.
The original fan I used.

Yes, very cute and nice fan, these are remakes and not very well made. Bought both from Ross, and the top darker mahogany color was on clearance as it was cracked and wobbly. This one eventually gave out as well, after our move from SC to Texas. Didn't want to spend $$ to fix so I just kept up as decor, then one kept tilting falling and not safe around kids. So my project was created. I still have it up and holding up as succulent planter, longer then they were used as fans.

This is what gave me the idea to use it as a planter. I was given this succulent basket for Mothers Day and I used it to sit on the fan cover. It kept leaning as the screw and nut was in the middle.

• Ole fan stand  (Ross many years ago)
  • Succulent soil, succulents  (Lowes, HD)
  • Light fixture bowl  (yard sale)

• Janice

I agree with the first questioner; what happened to the beautiful fan shown in your first pic? The base used in the rest of your pics and finished piece isn't even comparable to the first pic of your fan - why?

• Anna Ibarra

Hello all! My bad, you all are exactly correct. I was rushing the post that I clicked the wrong fan pic! I had 2 fans similar, bought days apart, due to our a/c broke down in mid Aug. I remember that part! 😏 I wasn't able to use the other as it broke due to too heavy, I was not able use it due to the heavy glass dome fixture - heavy! Again my apologies! Sorry for the bad 2nd fan pic, my MAC is failing me and need to take in. 😤 Was working on MAC and no luck! 😁😬.

• Ardis Olson

Cute planter but what part of the fan did you use? The planter base is not from that fan. They are a totally different design.

• Anna Ibarra

I had problems with my MAC, it had a virus and I had difficulty trying to edit and and my iPhoto. But regardless of base, lamp base, table base, this is just an idea as we all don't have the same ole items laying around. I did try using both bases, but the first fan pic was already broken and I couldn't get it to work or for the fan part to stay upward. I took a quick pic before it kept falling. So I had it up for decor. I felt it could be used for a recycled project. The base part on both has a screw where it attaches the fan part. I am not a blogger and I did this before I discovered Home Talk, so I did not take step by step. I do try to now, but not very good at it, I get caught up on my projects and then I say, oh crapppy, should have taken step by step pics. ;-/. So I hope all got enough details on how it was done.

• Gra2416627

I wish the fan and planter were side beside because the bases are totally two different ones????

• Lainey Howell

Picture of fan at beginning shows an acanthus type leaf design on the base. This is the fan she started with that she broke, so she used the fan pictured in the rest of the project, less ornate.

• Lindalovie55

dont understand comment.

• Anna Ibarra

@Lindalovie55 Exactly Sue Kiene, thank you for being more specific, I should learn to edit. I'm always in a rush. Linda, the ideas are tons and can you imagine the washing machine door as a big trifle bowl. -O Amazing. I love to try other posts and ideas, but can't always get exactly what they have, so these inspirations sites are so great so we can lesson the waste dump landfills. Recycle, Reuse, Reduce. -)

• Mcgypsy9

Anna there is no way to add a comment to your cable spool post but I wanted you to know that I have racked my brains for forever trying to figure something out for them. I have looked at many different thing that people have done with them but to be honest never cared for them that much, that is until I came across yours. OMG I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE with the idea you came up with and want to thank you so much for the inspiration! Love love love it! This post is cute too but I just can't say enough about the other!

• Anna Ibarra

Hope you got to do yours. With HT changing so much and evolving, I don't actually get on the site as much. I just view it thru FB.