Lela Burris
Lela Burris
  • Cleveland, TN

Sophisticated Industrial Big Boy Bedroom Reveal

My kid is eight years old. He likes super heroes and video games and drawing pictures. Just like all the other eight year old boys in his class.
But he also likes fedoras, tuxedos, and fancy dinner parties. He’s a classy little man, he says. A grown up in a kid’s body, he thinks. A future GQ model with pockets full of cash, he announces often.
sophisticated industrial big boy bedroom reveal, bedroom ideas, chalkboard paint, painted furniture
So when he decided it was time for a big boy bedroom, he had his own design plan drawn out and listed to the T. He said he wanted an Industrial Style New York Loft Apartment Belonging To A Successful Male Model.
Um…where he got that? No idea. But I’m just the right mom that can make that vision a reality. He wants a grown man bachelor pad? You got it. (With a hint of super heroes, of course. Because he hasn’t grown out of those yet.)
This is what we were working with.
When we moved into The New House, he begged and pleaded for a futon so he could have a couch for playing video games. He quickly realized they aren't very comfortable for sleeping on. So that was on the Out list for sure.
And we never painted the walls when we moved in so he inherited the most ugly shade of brown on the paint market. We knew we would eventually make some changes so we didn't bother immediately.
The room was filled with a hodgepodge of hand-me-downs. The dresser and bookshelves were mine when I was a kid.
The toy box was built by my father’s grandfather and was passed on through generations and has been painted an array of colors over time. And the desk and chair came from my mother’s garage.
After getting the blueprints and wishlist from the boss (my very specific kiddo), I got to work on a very rainy weekend.
With his Pinterest board pulled up on the tablet (yeah, he made it himself) I turned his little boy junk room into his dream man cave.
We painted the walls a cool gray and the room was instantly so much brighter. The furniture got a dark matte gray makeover with metallic accents.
We went with lightweight bedding for the spring and summer and a heavier comforter at the foot of the bed for chilly nights.
The family heirloom toybox got a fresh coat of paint, too.
It makes the perfect spot for reading a book and doubles as extra toy storage.
Speaking of toy storage, my dude has a LOT of stuffed animals. That cheapo corner net we had before just wasn't doing it for us. It was too high, hard to get to, and, well, not so attractive.
We found these great baskets on clearance at Michaels for $14 each and hung them on the wall with heavy duty hooks. A step stool is stored underneath for reaching the higher basket and shelves.
He saw this light fixture in my Market warehouse and just had to have it for his room. We attached it with pulleys so it can be raised or lowered for bedtime reading. He said it gave the room “character.”
He’s so my kid.
The desk got a coat of chalkboard paint and the chair was painted to match the other furniture.
We faced it outward in the room so he could see his TV while working on his art projects. The furniture layout really gave the room an inviting vibe.
His friends came over last weekend and were pretty jealous of his man room.
He loved showing it off.
And of course, his fedora hangs right beside the door for a quick grab and go.
Because that’s how GQ models roll.
To see more of his bedroom and to access a post on how I painted his laminate furniture, visit my blog. And while you're there, be sure to say hello. I'd love to meet you!

• Glidden Disney Paint in Mickey's Shadow (walls)  (Walmart (In Store))
  • Valspar Paint in Rugged Suede (furniture)  (Lowes Home Improvement (In Store))
  • Bedding  (Target (In Store))
Lela Burris

• Jennifer Thompson

Gorgeous room! Wherever did you find that light fixture??

• Chr4787838

Beautiful job. What did you do with the dresser and TV, and did you get him a more comfortable spot to play his video games ¿

• Lela Burris

The tv is still on the dresser, I just pushed it more towards the corner (and painted the dresser gray) and he lounges on his bed for video games now.

• Staci

Where did you find the adorable dog pillow on the bed? Love this project! Great job

• Genesis Cranston

My 30 year old Batchelor male and female friends still haven't out grown super hero's and never did lol great room!

• WOW! He can come to my house and give me some pointer! Or better.....I buy and he can FLY! LOL! Great eye this one has momma! Dare I say, a interior designer in the making??? Love it!