Sandra W
Sandra W
  • Gilman, IL
Asked on Apr 20, 2012

Autumn Blaze Maple

Douglas HuntSandra W360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+5

Why after 8 years would this tree develop seed pods (whirlybirds) that make a mess? And the whole top half of the tree has not leafed out like the bottom. It just looks sparse and has many of the seed pods.
  • KMS Woodworks

as with many organisms...reproduction mechanisms take time to mature. An annual flowering plant may produce seeds after just a few weeks. Which longer lived plant s / animals it can take years or even decades to grow up to a point in which they began to produce. In the case of large trees this is a survival mechanism as it limits the local population from competing for available resources..mainly water and light.

• Sandra W

I guess my thought was that this tree would not have those whirly birds. Anyway that is what the landscaper told us when we had our lawn and trees put in.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Sometimes when plants/trees/shrubs are stressed they will put all their diminishing energy into reproduction. Was their a drought stress last summer or winter, or possible root damage inflicted?

It's a widely held belief that Autumn Blaze doesn't produce seed pods, but, as you have seen, it is not true. Did you have a late frost that might have damaged leaves at the top of the tree, which it is now struggling to restore?

• Sandra W

No real drought. Maybe rainfall down a few inches. Very mild winter and no root damage inflicted. I am almost thinking after looking at Autumn Blaze photos that maybe it isn't one of them? The tree never got a vibrant red as the photos show.

It wouldn't be the first time a tree such a mistake was made planting a tree!

• Sandra W

You may be right. I just found out that one of my neighbors had the same landscaper as we did when they were building our subdivision, and he is having the same exact problem with his "Autumn Blaze "as we are. So maybe they really weren't Autumn Blaze?????????

If he's still around, you have nothing to lose by a phone call.