Katey
Katey
  • Huntsville, AL

Painting a Barn Quilt for Your Garden Shed

$75

My mother is a quilter and for her birthday I made her abarn quilt square to hang on my father's shed that overlooks their back yardand garden. Living in the south we see large quilt squares on barns on farms but I thought itwould be great to make a small one for my mom. I couldn't find any directions onmaking one but figured it out with out too much trouble.
First pick out a pattern that is special to
My supplies
My supplies
measuring the design
measuring the design
Get the family involved. They love it.
Get the family involved. They love it.
taping the sections off. the blue painters tape bled a little so recommend frogtape
rolling the clear coat on
rolling the clear coat on
Hanging in it's new home!
Hanging in it's new home!
Texas Star
Texas Star
Katey

• Shan Shaw

wonder what the panels of the garage door would look like "quilted"?

• Lynne

I've seen it done and from a distance it looked great. Would be harder to do

• Deborah White Kanatzar

What deminsion did you use? Also, is the plywood pre-treated?

• Katey

No the wood wasn't treated. I used a 3' square

• Pam Baxter

How did you know how to draw your pattern? It is so precise... just don't know if I could do it but I would like to if I can figure out how to get a pattern. Yours turned out great! Thanks for sharing.

• Katey

It does take some tinkering with. Just pick an easy pattern and then convert it to larger. Say the pattern is a 6" square and you have a 3' board. Then it's 6 times bigger. So if the pattern says use a 2" piece then it would be 12" piece on your board. Just do it in pencil and you can always erase. Good Luck!!!

• Carey

If you are doing a star for instance, decide whether you want it to be a 6 point star or an 8 point star. Then take a square piece of paper and practice. start by drawing straight lines from corner to corner. Now you have the center of the paper or board clearly marked. Measure each side and find the center and mark it. Draw a line from side to side being sure to go directly through the center and the marks on the sides of the board. You can get a compass to create a circle in the center and use that to mark the distance from the points of your star to the circle. You can play with the compass as well to come up with a design that you lice and repeat on your board. Put the point of the compass at points where your lines intersect and just turn it so that it goes to the line on both sides of where the point is. You can come up with amazing original designs this way! The more straight lines you draw, the more points you create. One line is the point and the next one is the inside "V" of the star.

• Jo-Anne Smith

Use graph paper to make your design and then draw light pencil lines on your board after you have base coated it with your lightest colour. Use these squares to reproduce what you have on your graph paper. I also coloured my graph paper with coloured pencils to get a sense of the colour combinations and so I knew which colours to buy.
      , On my shed, Given as a raffle prize for a charity event
  • Deb

I love the barn quilt you made! I would like to make one to hang on our garage.How did you attach it to the shed? thanks,Deb

• Katey

Really long wood screws. Thanks and good luck!

• Roxi

I also put mine up with woos screws. Before I hung them up I sprayed 3 or 4 coats of clear spray shine coat to each one. I have them on my wooden garage doors. They have been up a couple years and they look as good as the day I put them up. It takes time. You cannot hurry. I taped off each color . Good Luck.

• Sandra Noel

What is the thickness of the plywood you used? Did you put the bracings on the back?
    • Katey

I'm sorry I don't know the thickness exactly but i would guess 1/2 to 3/4 inch. It was just standard nothing different then what Home Depot has precut. I didn't put anything on the back. Thanks for asking. Good luck.
    • Jewellmartin

Katey, this would be complex for me because of the precision. My son lives in Madison, Al., btw. This son has a house that could display a quilt board like this. I see your measurements, but did you plan the quilt with the proportion related to size of the shed? I don’t know if a 6’ or 9’ square quilt would be the correct proportion. Thank you for your rocket of an idea ☺️

• Cindi E

Hi~

Couple questions : )! Thanks!

1-Did you prime surface for weather/exterior before adding color(paint)?

2-What type/brand of exterior paints are used? Were you able to mix colors to get what you wanted as far as shading?

3-Did you use Satin, Semi-gloss, or a High gloss for paint?

3-What clear coat, Polyurethane or Urethane?

4-Did the final clear coat have a UV protection, and is it waterproof against weather?

HUE THANK YOU for taking time to answer : )!

from Northern CA (but originally from Oregon : )!

Cindi Ewert

chilipepper9759@yahoo.com

• Cindi E

Hi~

Couple questions : )! Thanks!

Cindi Ewert

chilipepper9759@yahoo.com

• Katey

Cindi, I can’t recall if I primed it but it wouldn’t hurt. In one of the pictures I have a picture of the paint can maybe you can see. I bought it right off the shelf and used. I’m sure you could mix to get what you want. I used polyurethane and can’t recall exactly what protection it had. I painted all the edges too. It’s held up great as it’s been many years since I made it. I think It was semi gloss as well as the paint. Good luck!!! Thanks for asking. Katey

• Judi

For of you that love this idea but need a little more inspiration check out:

www.quilttrailswnc.org.

• Heje

I love seeing the outdoor quilt patterns on outbuildings and barns. Thanks for the inspiration. The first time posting is not easy. I really appreciate the pictures you used.