Carousel Jewelry Organizer

Let me tell you about my spring fever: though my mind races with a million project ideas and tingles with giddiness when I think about working on them, my body reacts like a bear waking from hibernation, too slow to move a muscle. Okay, maybe it has nothing to do with the warm weather, but it has everything to do with this morning's constant coffee consumption coupled with the long hours of yard work we did all weekend... still... better to blame the weather than listen to the groans and protests of this aging body. Otherwise, how will we muster the energy to tackle all the projects we have planned for this summer, right? *Affiliate links used in this post*
carousel jewelry organizer, chalk paint, crafts, decoupage, how to, organizing, repurposing upcycling
Speaking of projects, if all things go as planned, this summer we'll be completing two room makeovers (the guest bathroom and the master bedroom), and we'll be giving a little upgrade to our backyard (which we already started). We will soon start working on our master bedroom, but first I need to get the small details sorted: a face-lift for my old picture frames, so I can create a small gallery wall, DiY valances for the windows, a DiY jewelry organizer, some shelving to display decor items, an update for our night stand lamps, a small makeover for our IKEA furniture and maybe... I know, I know... poor Greg! He will be pulling his hair out when he sees the "small details" list, as most of the items will involve his work... hahaha. Having a pretty long list in mind, I wanted to get a head start with one of the things I could do on my own. As usual I went to our "famous" junk mall (aka basement) and saw this sample size cabinet door which is another Put & Take find.
I thought with a little paint and some knobs here and there I could jolly well turn it into a jewelry organizer like the ones I've seen on Pinterest. Before starting anything, I also looked for some suitable knobs and in my stash I found a carousel hook instead. Since I had the hooks and a nice base (cabinet door), the plan was simple: paint the front side of the base white (leaving the back alone), add the hooks in the middle of it and "voila!", right? Well not quite exactly. Let's rewind a little and go step-by-step, shall we? The cabinet door sample was made from a very good quality MDF (medium density fiberboard) covered with laminate. With latex or chalk paint painting a laminate piece can be tricky as latex or chalk paint would have hard time sticking to its very smooth surface. This is where the primer would fly in with its red cape and blue tights and save the day. That said, even without primer, if you were to paint a laminate surface, you would probably have no issues as long as you gave enough time between coats so the paint could dry and cure a bit. Since I had all the time in the world, I decided to go ahead with painting. After my homemade chalk paint was ready custom color matched to Old White, I gave it a coat of paint. If you'd like to try my homemade chalk paint recipe, you can find it on our blog.
The next day, I gave it a second coat of paint, but only to the outer frame. When I placed the carousel hooks in the middle to get a feel for how it would look when finished, I felt like something was missing. The middle part where the hooks would be needed something to tie-in the two colors. I decided to decoupage the middle area, so I didn't bother giving it a second coat. Once the second coat of paint on the outer frame was dry, I started sanding and distressing it.
After cleaning the sanded areas of its dust, I wanted to protect the painted outer frame before starting the decoupage, so I waxed it with clear wax. Once the outer frame was waxed, I started on the prep for the decoupage. I found this scrapbook paper design on one my "go to" websites for finding free images. If you like this scrap book paper design you can download it in high resolution (for personal use only) on our blog.
The color of this design was too tan-ish for our bedroom and the carousel hooks, so I adjusted it give it a soft purplish hue instead. Once I was finished with the design, I printed out the design on index paper and cut it to the exact size. A little note here: depending on the piece I want to decoupage and the end result I want to have, I use papers in different thicknesses. As the one I use in this project is pretty thick it eases my job during application - it doesn't crumble or break apart so bubbles are easy to remove. But because of its thickness I would only use index paper for furniture or pieces where I want my decoupage to stay solid. For decoupaging a candle I would rather use copy paper or even thinner paper, as I would want the candle light to show through the decoupage. Anyway... Back to the jewelry organizer...
After cutting the index paper to size, I applied Mod Podge to the area I wanted to decoupage, then I placed my paper on the Mod Podged area. When the paper was nicely set in its place, I applied 2 coats of my usual protective coat. Once the protective coat dried I screwed the carousel hooks in its place. This is the part where I was hoping to say "voila!" but I realized that the screws were too long and were sticking out from the back. As I was looking for new set of screws to fit the carousel hooks, Greg fixed my issue by grinding the back of the screws down which led me to give a nice finish also to the back. I didn't want to paint it because the screws were still sticking out a tiny weeny bit. I thought if I filled the middle area and decoupaged the whole back with the same paper, it would do the job nicely. I cut a piece of foam board to fit the middle part and pushed it in to its place.
Next I printed the scrap book design on a bigger index paper and using Mod Podge I decoupaged the paper to the back. After applying 2 coats of protective coat on top of the paper I added a saw tooth picture hanger to the back and two small pads at the bottom corners to protect the wall paint from any scratches. And that was that!
Here is my carousel jewelry organizer.
It looks quite pretty, doesn't it?
I love it!... not because of the look, but because of its function: now I don't get all frustrated trying to untangle my necklaces & bracelets each time I want to use them.I also think using this carousel instead of knobs was a better idea. As a carousel keeps the necklaces at a distance from the wall, it is very unlikely that the wall will get scratched. In other words, I don't have to worry about doing touch-ups every now and then.As usual some close-up shots for you to see the details...

Here is where I can't help myself from bragging about my paint brush. I seriously love the work it does...always smooth and brush-stroke-free finishes. I couldn't be happier with it.
I love this carousel hook so much that I am planing to make a similar one for my belts. Not that I can get to it anytime soon, as we have to fix the yard first, but still... added to the list :-)
Thanks for reading! For all the details of this project and the free printable please hop over to our blog. If you are interested in similar crafts & DiY projects, click here to see more crafts & DiY projects from The Navage Patch. Handan, xo

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Hb

I love it ! Really love it . I am curious of the piece in the middle that actually holds the necklaces. What is it and where do you find it please?

• Thank you so much! I gave link in the post above but here it is once again for you: http://amzn.to/1MR0vrV It is called carousel hook [or at least that is how I searched and found it :)] Hobby Lobby sells it but I know they don't have their stores everywhere. Therefore when I also found it on Amazon I thought I should give the link for that for others to find and purchase if they want to.

• SKSD

Love how your paint turned out. I'm interested in the brush that you used. I tried looking it up online from the site you listed in answer to someone else's question but it would'nt work. Thanks

• Martha

I notice your carousel hook base has a keyhole, which leads me to think it was once a doorknob plate. Did you assemble the plate and hook yourself? If so, how about a tutorial on that?

• Jewellmartin

In one of the photos, the center almost looks like a mirror. I happen to have a badly painted (by me) 8 1/2" x 10" frame with a mirror in the center. I think I could follow Handan and Greg's design, leaving the mirror. Then I could adhere the carousel hook or something similar to the mirror with a strong adhesive. I would hang the hook a little lower. Once hung on the wall, there would be enough mirror left for me to try on different pieces of jewelry and decide if that's what I want to wear that day. I really like this. Best wishes 😇

• Giselle

I love all your projects and pin them but I can actually see myself making this one! Lol! Don't let the trolls get you down! I find people usually only insult others needlessly when they are lacking in their own lives. Having read you and
    Greg's entire blog I am blown away at your grasp of the English language and your ability to joke around so easily. I know I couldn't do it! I also appreciate all the details you include since I am a complete novice to most DIY projects! Keep on posting!
    • Giselle, thank you so much! Last year was our first year blogging and it was rather hard for me to grow that thick skin for internet trolls. But I guess everything comes with experience. Nowadays I don't let those unconstructive comments get under my skin as I know better ;-) Thank you so much once again for your support!!

• Fol4604796

I love this idea!! Can't wait to try it. The key plate and key really make it unique