Calien Laure
Calien Laure
  • Brunswick, MD
Asked on Jun 4, 2013

My apricot tree has been hit with some sort of blight

Lisa SPatricia MartinLinda Weeks
+9

I noticed that the branches closet to our walkway were looking a little withered. I thought someone might have brushed too hard against them or something, but wasn't too worried. Two days later, the branches were dying and the blight started spreading. :( Help! This is a dwarf apricot tree I planted 2 years ago.
Dying branches on apricot tree
Dying branches on apricot tree
Close up of dying branch
Close up of dying branch
Bad limb in front, healthy behind
Bad limb in front, healthy behind
Closeup
Closeup
Closeup
Closeup

Do you see any signs of cankers on your trees, Callen? It's possible your apricots have "limb dieback," which is caused by a fungus. If so, you need to get a pro in to take a look at them.

• Caley's Culinaries

Call your agricultural extension agent ASAP. They will probably come out and take a look for free. You will still have to pay for tests and treatment, but it's a place to start. There is not a fast internet solution to this one, but it's probably fixable.

• Nancy Hand

I'm with Douglas! You probably are going to have to cut it down.

• Calien Laure

Is this going to spread to my other fruit trees? And do I have to take the whole thing down or just the bad limbs?

• Nancy Hand

What does the trunk look like? I'm not sure but I think it will get to the other trees. What do you think Douglas and Caley?? Its nothing you did, its a bacteria that gets in a crack or wound during the winter.

I think this is a job for a tree specialist. You can find an International Society of Arboriculture certified arborist by Zip Code here: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx?utm_source=homepageclicks&utm_medium=homepagebox&utm_campaign=IAmA

• Gretchen

It might be faster to cut off a bad limb and take it into your County Extension office. They will have you fill out a form and an agent will look at it carefully (or send it to a lab for tests) and they will get back to you with recommendations. Your extension office generally performs these tests for free - especially if you take the sample to them.

• Catherine Smith

Agree with Gretchen, but see if your extension agent will come out and have a look. What does the trunk and bottom of the tree look like? I don't think this is canker, but it does look like some type of fungal infection, at least from what I can see.

• Lori

Might be fire Blight

• Linda Weeks

noticed you mentioned that it was near the driveway - any possibility that salt spread on the driveway has gone to the plant and damaged the root system? We have had so much snow this year!

• Patricia Martin

Looks like fire blight. I lost a pear tree to this. No known cure that I know of. Can cut out the infected limbs but must sterilize your clippers in between cuts or else you will spread it.

• Lisa S

we had some trees that did that last year but this year they are good