Judith F
Judith F
  • Wills Point, TX
Asked on Jun 4, 2013

What is This Plant? It is in Mid-State Louisiana

Judith FWanda sinnemaCathy W
+25

My Niece just sent this to me, wanting to know the name of it.Please help!!
q what is this plant it is in mid state louisiana, gardening
  • Ebradmon

Poker plant

• Diane

Red Hot Poker. I have 2 of these and at least 40-45 "pokers" are in bloom now. The birds love them. Be careful where you plant because they will spread quickly. Mine is about 6 feet round and I have only had it 3 years. I am going to dig it up as soon as all of the birds finish off the "pokers" and move it to a place that is better suited for such a big plant. I'm sure I will be giving away a lot of baby "pokers" from one that is as big as I have.

• Judith F

I have never heard of them!Thank you very much, I might have to find me one!!

Sadly, I have never lived where red hot poker (or Kniphofia ) have done well.

• Susan

Red Hot Poker. I had some when I lived in Virginia.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

Red hot poker

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

one of my favorite perennials. @Douglas Hunt is it too hot for them where you are? They do great here.

• Bonnie

Also known as "Torch Lily"

Too hot and wet, I think, Donna. And where I was in New York it was too cold. Apparently I am destined never to grow a kniphofia.

• Beverleynilles

red hot poker

• Debby Boyle

Red Hot Poker!

• Joyce Jones

It is called Red Hot Poker, JJ

• Genna Scartaccini

Douglas Hunt - have you tried a large flower pot with sandy soil in a sunny place? I am from the southwest where they do well and when I moved around a lot, that was the only way I could have a red hot poker plant some of the places I moved to

• Missy Street

I believe it's from the yucca family . very nice

• Anneinspiring

Kniphofia praecox......Family Asphofrlsceae.

• Laura Kranz McDonough

red hot poker plant

• Bernice H

oh dear, I like it a lot! I can see it here..in my overcrowded garden!

• Maggievanfossan

Red Hot Poker is not aggressive here in the Pacific Northwest. I bought it as a bulb about 8 yrs ago, and it has grown, but I've never needed to divide it. Likes full sun.

• Mikell Paulson

Yes it is a red hot poker and the birds love them! They do very well here in WA. too!

• Cathy W

Yes, it's a Poker!! Mom's name for it was "Indian Paint Brush"! Whatever, I look forward to summer and my 4 Pokers blooming!

• Rhonda Clements

@Cathy W actually red hot poker which this is is different plant than Indian Paint Brush, they are very similar but not the same

• Grayce Blair

It looks like a Red Hot Poker Plant............very healthy!

• Wanda sinnema

RED HOT POKER,,,,,, will get big clumps,,,,,, lotsof beautiful spikes,,,,,they are a BEE MAGNET when in full bloom,,so be careful where you plant it,,not by a mailbox or gate

• Rhonda Clements

Definitely Red Hot Poker, mine in Seattle is planted in full sun in an area that is very dry and rocky and poor soil and it has divided several times every year, they seem to like dry poor soil, so if you have a hot sunny spot where nothing else will grow try this

• Cathy W

Goes to show ya, mom's don't know EVERYTHING! :)

• Wanda sinnema

everyone is right....RED HOT POKER..... just and FYI ,,,,,,BEES LOVE IT also hummingbirds....beware of small kids getting stung

• Judith F

If I can find one,i WILL HAVE A GREAT PLACE FOR IT