Small Living Room Ideas: Who Says Rugs Are Just for Floors!

$15

I have a tiny living room (10 ft x 7.5 ft) but it does have one big blank wall that was screaming for something to jazz it up. Being a renter, I wanted to do something quick and easy to remove later, and ideally something that I could take with me when I move. Who would have thought that the solution would present itself in the form of a rug!

small living room ideas who says rugs are just for floors , flooring, living room ideas, reupholster, wall decor

That's right, that's a rug on my wall! I fell in love with the colors and the texture and immediately knew it would be perfect for my living room. The rug is from Crate and Barrel, called "TOCHI".

I made a frame to fit the size of the rug (4' x 6') with inexpensive 1"x2" furring strips ($1 for 8 ft). There's a few tricks and tips to build this on my blog.

I painted the furring strips the same color of the wall to make them blend in and then used upholstery nails, every 2 1/2" inches, to secure the rug to the panel.

I used 3M command picture-hanging strips to secure the panel to the wall to prevent it from falling over (the legs handle the weight of the panel) and that's it!

I love that I didn't have to make any holes in the wall and that I can always reuse the rug later in another space. You can watch the entire process of how I decorated my living room in this video.

• Furring Strips  (Hardware store)
  • Upholstery tacks  (amazon)
Engineer Your Space

• Robyn Garner

Looks great! But - why did you build a wood frame rather than just using Command hooks directly on the wall? 😎

• Lisa House

Framing it as she did spreads the weight of the rug over the entire frame which makes it easier to hang plus it maintains the shape of the rug.

• Cheryl

How do I do this for my round rug? It's a hand woven rug from Venezuela and has a white cotton backing that isn't attached anywhere but around the edge. I think it's there to keep the back weave details safe. The actual rug is very sturdy and heavy. I've thought of just nailing it to the wall because of that loose backing. It need to be up so i can see it. Better damaged and seen than folded away in a box in a dark corner.

• Sandra Frosch

Using a sheet of plywood*, cut curved pieces, from a pre-made paper pattern, to created the circle.

Attach the pieces with mending plates after using wood glue on all of the seams. Cut an octagon and support spokes cut from plywood and use mending plates as you glue the pieces together. I've attached a drawing. The X's mark where you will use the mending plates. The plates are cheap and can be purchased at any home improvement store.

Wait 24 hours to allow the glue to dry. Once dry, glue upholstery braiding around the edge of the exposed edges of the plywood then attach the rug.

*Depending on how heavy and large your rug is will determine how thick your plywood will need to be.

• Liz

Why is a chair in front of the front door?

• Mary M

It is nice. I have 1880 house. Friends gave me a quilt to hang over a rod but didn't look good. Going to make a frame and attach it. Thanks!

• Nancy Morris

Hand-sew a sleeve on the upper edge of the quilt, the buy a strip of flat steel slightly shorter than the width of the quilt and wide enough to fit into the sleeve. Drill two holes in each end of the metal, and hang the quilt on two nails (or molly toggles if the quilt is large). Tacking a quilt to a gram can damage, and attaching it to wood can damage the fabric when the acids in the wood come in contact with the fabric. There are also specially-made quilt hangers sold to allow quilts to be hung without damage. Google is your friend.

• Debbie Jurek Zarowny

I have found Christmas rugs in the past. I stitched washers on the 2 corners and hung them. Worked great and use every Christmas since!