Small Living Room Ideas: Who Says Rugs Are Just for Floors!

$15

I have a tiny living room (10 ft x 7.5 ft) but it does have one big blank wall that was screaming for something to jazz it up. Being a renter, I wanted to do something quick and easy to remove later, and ideally something that I could take with me when I move. Who would have thought that the solution would present itself in the form of a rug!

That's right, that's a rug on my wall! I fell in love with the colors and the texture and immediately knew it would be perfect for my living room. The rug is from Crate and Barrel, called "TOCHI".

I made a frame to fit the size of the rug (4' x 6') with inexpensive 1"x2" furring strips ($1 for 8 ft). There's a few tricks and tips to build this on my blog.

I painted the furring strips the same color of the wall to make them blend in and then used upholstery nails, every 2 1/2" inches, to secure the rug to the panel.

I used 3M command picture-hanging strips to secure the panel to the wall to prevent it from falling over (the legs handle the weight of the panel) and that's it!

I love that I didn't have to make any holes in the wall and that I can always reuse the rug later in another space. You can watch the entire process of how I decorated my living room in this video.

Engineer Your Space

• Cheryl

How do I do this for my round rug? It's a hand woven rug from Venezuela and has a white cotton backing that isn't attached anywhere but around the edge. I think it's there to keep the back weave details safe. The actual rug is very sturdy and heavy. I've thought of just nailing it to the wall because of that loose backing. It need to be up so i can see it. Better damaged and seen than folded away in a box in a dark corner.

• Janet Milstead

You can make a hula-hoop the size of your rug from PVC piping from the hardware store. Then brace it with wood similar to the wood she used in the video, across the hula hoop, maybe 4-5 slats. Then lay your rug on top and glue to the slats with gorilla glue if it is a thick rug, and/or use heavy carpet thread and a strong large needle to gorilla-glue and blanket-stitch around the edges. Voila!

• Liz

Why is a chair in front of the front door?

• Mamma

Check out the floor plan pictures and you will see that it is a closet.

• Carol Cole

Did you make the lights?

• Doreen Kennedy

I may of commented on your post a while back. Anyway, I really love what you did with your space. You really made your tiny room look so light and spacious. I also love all your wall decor.

• Barb

You took that small space and does what every professional designer does keeps the eye moving around the room in awh. The rug was a stunning ideas along with the lights that you took to another level = glamorous!