Diane
Diane
  • Poughkeepsie, NY
Asked on Apr 21, 2012

Has anyone used GAF Timberline HD Shingles? Should I go with Timberline HD or Timberline Ultra HD?

Aug31671290SmartmgtDva210740
+19

I live in NY, have a full sun roof, but can get alot of snow. We are replacing after an Iko "Organic" shingle failed and want to make sure we get the right shingle... also has anyone used Green shingle?
  • KMS Woodworks

Check out this article I wrote on roofing warranties. It may steer you in the right direction. http://www.networx.com/article/do-you-need-a-roofing-warranty

• Diane

They both offer the same lifetime warranties as we are going with GAF's Golden Pledge warranty which covers labor and materials for 50 years, and is transferrable to the next owner. Nails will be 6, with a 130 mph wind rating. The contractor is a certified GAF installer & GAF comes out in addition and inspects the workmanship. Just not sure which shingle to go with as the Ultra is a bit thicker, but warranty is same. Contractor says the same warranty applies no matter which shingle we choose.

• I have installed tons of GAF Timberlines. They are a good shingle

• KMS Woodworks

The thicker just gives you slightly different look...so your choice could be swayed by appearance.

• Diane

Does the thicker look nicer or have more of a definition? I am 350 feet off the road, and want a nice definition and contrast. Do the thicker Ultra shingles lay as flat?

• KMS Woodworks

The thicker shingles produce more "shadow lines" and texture. In many cases this give the look of real shakes or slate. They cost a bit more as there is "more" material involved. The thickness does not effect the install as they both "lay flat" The added thickness is in the high / low profile of the pattern in the shingle itself.

• Diane

Thank you for your help. Sounds like the Ultra would be a better choice.

• Jason A

Avoid the Green color, doesn't hold up in the wind.

• Diane

The color or the Timberline shingle itself?

• Jason A

It was just the color green. GAF Timberline is a great shingle

• Atlanta Reroof Specialists

Diane- While the Ultra are thicker, and do look nicer, they are also a good bit more expensive. And even though they are thicker, no one is going to mistake them for a slate or shake roof. If your contractor has installed Ultras on a roof, maybe you could look a a couple of houses with each shingle and decide if the extra curb appeal is worth the extra money. Good luck!

• Diane

Thanks for your suggestions!

• colour has nothing to do with holding up to th e wind. That is a function of proper installation.

• KMS Woodworks

I agree color means nothing here...It would be like saying a white truck gets better gas millage over a blue truck.

• Diane

WE are doing 6 nails per shingle. Hope that seals the deal lol

• Diane

FYI... installed the GAF Timberline Ultra HD, looks great. No damage whatsoever after the hurricane last fall whereas my neighbors all had replacements done due to the storm. Very happy with GAF. Has a Lifetime warranty against defects. labor, etc...

• Gra188475

J. Steward, Colonial Beach, VA As a homeowner who recently had a GAF Camelot 30 roof installed on our waterfront home in Colonial Beach, VA; I must say that the jury is still out on the PERFORMANCE RATING of this product. Currently we are working with GAF claims deparment and I will post my final evaluation of this product and how GAF handled our roof problem once our claim is closed. Posted on Jun. 21, 2013

• Dva210740

Saw a video of this product where they say the roof is guaranteed for the life of the house and is transferable to new owners.. Sounds too good to be true were you told it would be lifetime?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJFGYk_FQA < this is the video... hope your problem was resolved ..Dave

• Smartmgt

The thicker shingles are heavier and come with a much better warranty. The thickness creates a shadow effect between the shingles which, although it doesn't look like a cedar shake roof, does give it an attractive appearance.

• Aug31671290

Please email me augustfour781@gmail.com,
    Crew completed my roof a few days ago using TIMBERLINE HD weatherwood, stamp on reverse side SF0849 OMG this product is paper thin and look at the cracks. Before the crew arrived I put several pieces in the house to exam it. The temp dropped to 32 as they were trying to nail it in. Yesterday they came for there $, I said there's no way unless you repair it for free for 20 years
    , Pieces were brittle it rained all night snow the 2nd day so sad just retired business had A rating BBB great reviews they kept saying temp won t affect the job