Marilyn C
Marilyn C
  • Salem, OR
Asked on Apr 21, 2012

This year will be the first year in 5 that our Wisteria will bloom. Our hummers should be delighted. Why that long?

Marilyn CWalter ReevesDouglas Hunt
+1

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Depending on the variety, some take a few years to reach a maturity level to bloom. Another reason may be too much nitrogen which will produce a lot of leaves but no blooms.

Wisteria can be tardy bloomers, which is why people often buy them in bloom. But at least your wait is over.

• Walter Reeves

They seem to start blooming when the limbs begin growing horizontally. The initial vertical growth isn't conducive to making bloom buds.

• Marilyn C

First year was just growth, I cut them down expecting the following year that they harden up, more growth. So I replanted it next to our house and left the growth to wind around the sturdy trellis, leaves and not much else, this year however I see flower buds and successful growth which makes me smile. I also fed it plenty of Miracle Gro early. Our visiting "hummers" (main reason I bought the plant) will be around more often. Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate it.