Alice Martin
Alice Martin
  • Ephrata, PA
Asked on Jun 5, 2013

Any ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser?

ShariMary Insana

Need to know type of wallpaper and technique to use for successful project. Preferably coastal decor.
  • Mary Insana

If you choose to use Mod Podge you can use any paper or fabric to cover a dresser. I recently used a pretty tissue paper to accent a bench. The directions are on the Mod Podge bottle but basicially you paint some on, lay the paper down and let it dry then paint a few coats over the paper. I like to build it up and put about 4 coats of Mod Podge. It comes in flat and gloss too

• Shari

Several years ago, I updated a really, really old white bedroom set I got for my 16th birthday with pre-pasted beadboard wallpaper (and new drawer pulls) since I wanted a more coastal look. I'll include some photos here. This HT member posted about a fabric-covered dresser that turned out gorgeous, but I don't see why you couldn't do something similar with wallpaper, if that's the product you prefer to use. http://www.hometalk.com/1582599/dresser-makeover-with-fabric

any ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser, painted furniture, Drawer of old dresser before coastal makeover with pre pasted beadboard wallpaper and new hardwareany ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser, painted furniture, Drawer trim was unscrewed leaving a flat drawer front A piece of pre pasted beadboard wallpaper was cut to fit the front then soaked in water to activate the glue applied to the drawer front Trim was then reattached to drawerany ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser, painted furniture, Drawer front after applying pre pasted beadboard wallpaper and new drawer pullany ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser, painted furniture, Before L and After R coastal makeover of old dresser with pre pasted beadboard wallpaper and new drawer pullsany ideas or suggestions on how to use wall paper to cover a dresser, painted furniture, Pre pasted beadboard wallpaper was also applied to the sides of the nightstands and dresser to complete the updated coastal look
  • Shari

Just an added note... If you are interested in beadboard wallpaper, not all beadboard wallpaper is created equal. I only use the Graham & Brown version because, in my opinion, for what it's worth, it is the most realistic I have seen. I've used it in many applications throughout my former and current homes and it has repeatedly fooled even the most experienced contractors. No one can believe it's really wallpaper until they actually touch it. Another HomeTalk member, Rhoda V. sells the Graham & Brown version here: http://southernhospitality.mybigcommerce.com/